Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
hattie
# Posted: 22 Jun 2013 12:37

That's really interesting about growing celery from the bottom part. I think I'm going to give that one a try. Thanks for the tip!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 11:08 - Edited by: cabingal3

Kelly.loved the story of your brother at grandma's.soo cute.candy,cake and goodies.all sweets.oh so funny.
yesterday my little guy who is big...hee hee.
wanted pancakes.i always make big pancakes but alot gets wasted.i make my own syrup...well alot gets wasted cause the ten yr.old pours tons of syrup on.yesterday i made sand dollar size pancakes for all.that was the ticket.the ten year old ate a few and got full and it saved syrup.little funny guy.

prayers and hopes and good dreams for your son to get the better job he wants.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 11:16

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
But I do miss the patients and some of the challenging calls.

so true.sure love the little elderly.
Kelly.i always go to orchard to pick our fruit or to free trees where i know there is fruit.i know a couple of spots about town where there is free cherries.gal.they are 6$ a pound here in the stores.nope.not buying those.so silly.
he hee.on childbirthing.oh my sil.has alot in his family.alot of siblings.he is mexican and he just knew so much about childbirth.oh he would be such a big wig know it all to my daughter when she was pregnant with their first child.
well i was with her when the time came .i cut her babys cord.i was there to take them home.
then he managed to make it for their second birth of their child.u should have seen the looks on his face.i could tell he had never seen a baby born and knew not too much.he was prissy on gone with the wind.lol.so funny.
oh my goodness.ok.i am doing the celery thing.thats a good tip.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 12:32

Just wrote long post then accidentally deleted it aaaagggg

first daughter went to hospital. one hour labor no meds easy delivery. midwife would have worked better.
Second daughter long hard labor and delivery...with midwife at her home. i drove her there at 2am. she kept saying she was going to delivery before daddy got there from work. i just kept saying there is time.
Cord was wrapped 3 times so delivery long time.

I stayed in other room so mom and dad could do this themselves. but afterward i got to hold little noah for an hour.

Both boys over 8lbs.
i hope i get to be present for one of these grands instead of just paying for everything. lol

daddy had to go to work next day..he is manager.
So i stayed with mother and baby.
I got the call that day my brother had passed.

It was bittersweet..
and i realized no one really cared about me sitting holding my newborn grandson..and saying goodbye to my only brother.
Some things one just has to travel through alone.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 12:45

Daughter and noah were going to walk to church this morning. hope it went well and church takes her under thier wing. there are family problems and daddy staying away at work and friends. so mom and noah home alone all the time with very few resources.
I have gone every month to do what i can. but her getting in a local church she will make friends and help out and if there is emergency they will be closer
to help..if she will let them.
If all of this falls apart i would rather they come here but she is determined to try to make it there.

I dont know what happened. i raised my kids in church and service work. they are good peeps but seem to have hooked up with others like my ex.

Sorry just venting.
We want so much for our children..most we can do is pray and help if able.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 14:20

Word is church went well. noah was delighted to play with other baby same age in nursey..daughter got to go sit in service. much continued prayers.

Ok here is what i made for dinner todsy.
Soup beans with leftover ham and fresh cornbread.
Yum
20130623_13.59.30.jpg
20130623_13.59.30.jpg

tnky03
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 18:54

I did however pick up a beautiful couch at the thrift store. it has been cleaned and sanitized. just right price too.. $10!

Wow, what a good buy! I have been watching Craigslist for a sofa bed. Small cabin living will not allow for an extra bedroom and due to our ages I didn't want a loft. I think a sofa bed will provide a place for grands or other guests to sleep when visiting, yet be uncomfortable enough that no one stay too long, LOL. We worked a lot yesterday on cabin and all but one wall of living room/kitchen/dining room has insulation up. Hubby got most ceiling insulation up in bedroom and part of beadboard. Today my hand and fingers are swollen and very stiff and sore from stapling. Hope they are better tomorrow for I plan to finish the wall insulating. I hope everyone enjoys their weekend and the sights of the "Super Moon" tonight. Last night here in KY the moon looked super to me, was huge and beautiful!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 Jun 2013 19:28 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

So how long till you get there full time if that's your goal?

Years ago I had my Amish neighbor Build me a futon couch that I saw in countryside magazine. He kept the magazine lol

anyway it was beautifully made. he created his own pattern. used white pine I think. it was beautiful but it was uncomfortable as heck because there was no spring just futon mattress on the boards. it made a good bed though laid out with a regular mattress.

I have two futons here made up that way one upstairs one downstairs With just a regular mattress and box springs won't fit because I can't bend it any.

I have seen those pull down to beds made from wood and ropes. they fit against the wall when not in use.
What about a hammock or two? if you have beams you can hang hooks on?

I have a hammock it's nice but no way to put it up outside unless I get a stand or make one.
Putting a couple strong hooks up my actually work inside?

I am a little disappointed in my bean seeds. I have had to replant twice. hopefully they will come up all of them. everything else is sprouted though.

cabingal3
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 10:02

hey gals.been busy as all.
went to some plum orchard yesterday.massive plums.i let the litte grandsons pick green sour not ripe plums.they love them.
i cant eat them that way.
In about a week i wil go over and get tons of plums to can for breakfast and to make jelly.
the boys are still here.i am keeping them as long as i can...till july.
Quoting: tnky03
Last night here in KY the moon looked super to me, was huge and beautiful!

Debbie.hope u find your sofa bed.that craigs list is something pretty wonderful.they had a table saw built into a work table and a router saw and both worked.for free.
u are looking in the right place.there is so much.of course Murphys law will be ...not there when u are needing it.
Grandma Off Grid-love the cornbread and bean soup with ham...looks soo good.hugs cabi

tnky03
# Posted: 25 Jun 2013 16:22

Quoting: cabingal3
Murphys law will be ...not there when u are needing it

LOL, yes good old Murphy! I am finding that to be true but am trying to be patient while I search. I have found several great free deals, but hubby usually says "If you have to drive an hour or more to pick up something, it's not free". However, if it is an item well worth the drive he is always willing. So I continue to look for my sofa bed, wall cabinets and gas range.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 07:45

Like the ad for a free puppy.. no such thing lol

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 07:47

Going to head over to the free store today. have an old printer to take. it has everything with it but I don't need it and I'm looking around to see what I can get rid of. so I don't end up with a bunch of clutter.

tnky03
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 09:46

Going to head over to the free store today

What a great idea, a free store, wish we had one here. I have so much "stuff" stored that I HAVE to go through and get rid of most. There is just not room in our cabin. I have a lot iron cookware from both my grandmas and several old bowls and platters they had that I can't wait to unpack and use. Ok, let me make a little confession, rather silly practice, I guess. My hubby teases a bit about this. I have several teaspoons that belonged to my grandma that I lived with until I was eight. These are the spoons I use daily for myself. When I set the table hubby gets silverware from the set we bought when we married. Somehow it is a comforting thing for me to use her spoon. Is there a diagnosis for this, LOL?
We had a real thunderstorm last night with lots of lightening and precious rain. I'm getting ready to go check the garden, bet my plants are smiling after their shower. Have a great day all.

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 19:36

I have so much "stuff" stored that I HAVE to go through and get rid of most. There is just not room in our cabin

Debbie.good for u.this is what i am doing this week.downsizing again.how does it pile up again so fast??
well we are gonna sell our place.move closer to work and my grandsons...to cheaper place and be in an apt.
have more money to invest in our woods and cabin.

i am getting rid of alot by having a big yard sale.
I have several teaspoons that belonged to my grandma that I lived with until I was eight. These are the spoons I use daily for myself. When I set the table hubby gets silverware from the set we bought when we married. Somehow it is a comforting thing for me to use her spoon. Is there a diagnosis for this, LOL?

i think it is called sweet and homey.i wish i had some things from my granny.very nice.
glad your garden is doing good.
tonite is muggy.its going to be 94 come monday.
wishing all a wonderful day.summer is here.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 20:10

I have a lot of things from my grandma. I cherish them. I have her old rocking chair that she rocked all my babies in. I wear her nightgowns and use her coffee cup

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 Jun 2013 23:08

thats so wonderful Grandma Off Grid.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 08:31

Sometimes I get frustrated with this phone lol
trying to finish a post and I can't get it right so I give up. and it comes out sounding funny.

When we were little and then my children were little It was a treat to go into grandma's dresser and pull out her fancy nightgowns. she didn't wear a lot of them they were given to her as gifts I think. but she and I would dress my little girls up in her fancy nightgowns and my girls would feel so pretty lol

so when I went back to the funeral that was the items I wanted. some of the night dance and the little costume jewelry he used to put on my girls to make them all pretty. and she would dance around the living room with them and tell them they were a princess or fairies. it was a precious memory.
The items were not worth anything to anyone else but me. they were going to box it up and throw it in the dumpster. the rocking chair they were going to give to Goodwill.
So I got my grandma's chair. and my twin sister got my grandpas chair.
These things are priceless to us so I understand your spoons and things. I understand completely.

Anyway I was so busy yesterday I should have waited to post until I could sit down lol

tnky03
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 15:15

Ah Kelly, such sweet memories! There is nothing more precious than a Grandma's love. When I was around 8 yrs. mine would let me bake cookies, she called them "Tea Cakes" and use food coloring to make different pastel colors. We'd walk down the road to the neighbors and she would brag to them on how well I did baking them. I wrote a story about this in my college English class and got an A. My professor told me it brought tears to her eyes. I can only hope I leave such sweet memories with my granddaughters. My best childhood memories center around my grandma. I have one of her old treadle sewing machines, a Singer, that I hope to refurbish one day and make it useable again. I can't wait to see it sitting in my cabin. It still has some of her scissors and stuff in its drawers. I've never been able to bring myself to clean them out. Good grief, am too I sentimental I suppose. I hope everyone has a good weekend.

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 20:07

yes.my one granny was so pretty.swedish.straight off the boat from sweden.oh.i was her baby.she would give me mayonaise lids and biscuit dough and i would make teeny tiny biscuits and put them in the oven.she would let me dress my dolls with her scarves and her jewerly box.i would wrap a scarf on pretty and then pin it on with ear rings or a costume jewerly pin.
my other granny was a kick.she had a beauty shop.every morning i would go clean up her beauty shop for her.then me and brother would play in her house all day while she workd.
pretty wonderful.they were the best.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 20:38

Yes they sure were.. I too hope to pass some good memories on as well..

In honor of our loving Grandmothers
I took this just now out the back door
20130628_20.30.27..jpg
20130628_20.30.27..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 Jun 2013 23:59

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 12:33

When only the best will do..

To keep water in gutter from running into chicken coop..
20130630_11.44.51..jpg
20130630_11.44.51..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 12:35

Kelly sometimes the most simple ideas are ones that work.u always find a way.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 Jun 2013 13:21

Back at ya D!

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 06:26

morning gals.
heading to our woods on friday.so happy.cant wait to live there fulltime.we will see so much change at the cabin then.
the wedding is tomorrow and have to get a dress and pack for camp all at the same time.seems to be a busy hot summer so far.hope u all have a wonderful day.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 08:11

Will be looking forward to some pictures from the wedding!
Very happy for you to get to go to the cabin You will enjoy it so much.. and I know you're looking forward to being there full time.

It has rained every day For I don't know I think 2 weeks. the garden is exploding haha trying to stay ahead of the weeds.

This is funny. my Amish neighbor around the corner he is the Amish banker. he and his wife are getting up in years and just have the one son at home now. they had eleven children. something like 86 grandchildren I think.
He came here many years ago and bought a bunch of land And then sold it to other Amish families who moved here And they built their farms. they pay their mortgage to him.
He isn't much like I don't think due to that lol
but he and I and his wife have always got along pretty good.
He picks the fruit from the property next door that's empty.
He saw me out there a week or two ago picking some cherries. so yesterday his wife was out there picking every single one lol. I mean even on the ground.
Talk about frugal.
He is the one that made the futon couch for me. he and I have helped each other out for some rough spots.
I used to go over and get eggs honey maple syrup bread and desserts From his wife. I would put my order in the first of the week and pick up on Friday.
I haven't been over there for a while. need to go visit and see what she has to sell.

Things are going pretty good. just piddling around doing what has to get done. this is called lay-by time.
When the crops are in and growing.

Animals are doing good. went out yesterday I made up a trailer for the beans I planted.
They were all the same package But only half germinated. and a half or bush and half are pole beans???
I will see about saving some seeds and maybe spending the big bucks and getting them from a nursery.

My youngest daughter's birthday is tomorrow. she will be 25! wow where has the time gone?
She works two jobs And lives in the big city. she has some free time next week so is either going to come here or I will try to go there.
The grown kids get busy and their young lives so I don't get to see them that often. I hope this will change eventually but they are living there life and that's a good thing.

I still have to get the pieces to fix the deck stairs.
Thought I might get some lattice and put it on the front back porch we'll see.
Still things to do on the to do list you know how it is.

Hope you all have a blessed day
grandma

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 09:43

usually n the great northwet we have rain till mid july.i always say this is when summer actually starts Kelly.hee hee.Rain sounds good right now i tell u.86 degrees last nite when we went to bed.we arent use to this heat.i am not complaining.i am wishing for rain to water our gardens though.
lol.thats so funny about the cherries.
wow.sounds like the place to go.to the amish ex bankers home.those are so pretty good items to order.
i know what u mean.all is so costly.the seeds we purchase.the plants from anywhere.
i always like to get multiplying anything.
happy birthday to your daughter.25.gosh.i cant even remember being 25.
if the grown kids are out there and not overly attached to mama but living and working and being good.u have good kids.good for u gal.
i need to get off of here.when u mention busy.i need to get busy.had a yard sale.made over 100$.loaded up all the rest and went to goodwill yesterday.i am going thru each room and trying to fix things as best i can.so gar can take photos.we are gonna sell our house.i will handle things nd do more when i get back from camp.
at camp i am hauling the bed out and everything and stapling down carpet squares.hubby is putting on inside walls.we cant take the furniture this time either.maybe next tme.
happy birthday to your girl.wishing her a wonderful day and God bless u and all.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 13:43

Hey girlie
i am so embarrassed..she will be 24..lol..she was 8 weeks old when hurricane hugo hit us.
She is a hard working loving young woman. She has been dubbed auntie tum tum and her nephews adore her.
She works weekends as nurse aide and thru the week as cook at bob evans.
she doesnt have any free time untll the 12th. so we are
planning a play date lol

oh my a cat was having kittens on porch. brought her inside.

Something my sis told me once when selling a house is that to use nuetral colors if you paint and get the place as empty as possible. so the buyers can see thier stuff there..in thier minds eye.

I will put this on my prayer board Dee.

Made pot of chili. it almost feels cold here.
We will pay for it later im sure lol

have a good weekend girlfriend!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 17:31

Just 6 weeks after planted.. this is part of the first square.
Will take more pictures tomorrow of the other stuff and the other squares coming up
20130702_16.55.16..jpg
20130702_16.55.16..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jul 2013 17:33

I took this off myself standing in my garden kind of.
Not sure if you can make it out or not lol
20130702_16.48.22..jpg
20130702_16.48.22..jpg

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.