Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 22:50

I also got two risers for the back deck stairs. the back deck is fixed but I tore the old stairs off because they were falling apart.
so I ask the guy how do I put these on the deck? he says I have to climb under the deck to do it. Lordy its a muddy clay mess under there. I can put a tarp down to lay on but it's going to be hard because I can only bend my arm one direction. I really think I should get a third riser. for the middle. when it's all done I will paint it all and the deck with the old oil. it really works excellent. will post a picture when I get it done.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 23:10

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
the pharmacist gave her a bottle whenever she asked for it didn't realize it was a narcotic!

hee hee

lol grandma would pull out the paragoric for anything we needed medical wise

ha ha ha.i plumb forgot about paragoric gal.my mom gave me some and i was asleep for three days.ha ha ha.
she would make a poultice out of corn meal for stomach ache.

interesting gal
they have this all beat up car and couldn't afford a new one. so grandma got a can of paint and paint brush and hand-painted the car haha she did a good job.
hee hee.
okay I work myself to a frazzle today but got the up stairs done except to hang curtains. then went and ran errands and came back to relax. boy my arm is really hurting.
I did get one row of bush beans planted and I picked up a nice stroller for $6 at Goodwill and a little bean bag recliner for my grandson.

man.u did do alot.i am sorry about your arm.
sounds like a good nites rest will help alot.hope your arm feels a bit better in the tomorrow.hgs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 23:13

I also got two risers for the back deck stairs. the back deck is fixed but I tore the old stairs off because they were falling apart.
so I ask the guy how do I put these on the deck? he says I have to climb under the deck to do it. Lordy its a muddy clay mess under there. I can put a tarp down to lay on but it's going to be hard because I can only bend my arm one direction. I really think I should get a third riser. for the middle. when it's all done I will paint it all and the deck with the old oil. it really works excellent. will post a picture when I get it done.

wow.thats alot.i just build a shelf once for a closet.i was so proud.could not wait to show my hubby.he came in and i put a pair of shoes on the shelf and it all collapsed.now i know more about building things.thats alot to do .i will surely like to see when u are done.thank u for all your interesting stories and times.hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 23:26

Grandma-speaking of this day.it was glorious .the sun out,the sky blue.75 yard sales in our park today.we were on the lookout for building materials for cheap to free for the cabin.
we got free acoustic ceiling tile that is 2x4 for free.we got about 100$ worth.we then went to lowes for cedar fence boards .we want that to be the walls in our new addition at the cabin.the inside walls.
those boards were 2 bucks each.we said later.
so we went to yard sales.at one house was the exact boards we were looking at when we were at lowes.50 cents a board.we purchased 25$ worth.then i found a sourse for plush free carpet squares.those people are getting back with me.this fellas wife wants a few for her house.i want them for the main part of the cabin.so we got alot of cheap free deals today for building at our cabin.
wel off i go.still drinking coffee tonite.see u all in the a.m.
hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 06:20

you go girl! talk about bargain shopping! I sure would like to see the pictures when you get done.
cedar boards sound like they will not only look good but maybe add some good smell too?

aren't you enjoying the weather? this is the time that we get so much done.
I can barely move my arm but it will get better as I get up and do things.
that's funny I bought this bean bag recliner for my 1 year old grandson. set it on the floor next to the big chair I sit in. they are identical haha.

cabingal3
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 11:54

that's funny I bought this bean bag recliner for my 1 year old grandson. set it on the floor next to the big chair I sit in. they are identical haha.

thats so cute gal.he will love this.yesterday when at yard sales...someone had the cutest little wicker sette and little tiny wicker chairs and a table.it was out for sell in their yard.it was so cute.gosh.i would never sell it.i would keep it for keepsakes and also put dolls on it and a tea set.
aren't you enjoying the weather? this is the time that we get so much done.

it is glorious out.very thankful to be alive
I can barely move my arm but it will get better as I get up and do things.

i hope so.prayers for u Grandma Off Grid.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 2 Jun 2013 19:46

here is a little Noah after his bath watching Dumbo on the phone haha
CAM00007.jpg
CAM00007.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 05:36

wow!lol.hes all taken care of and happy.stoller and tv right there and his little pacifier.all is good.what a cutie too.thanks for sharing this Grandma Off Grid.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 13:33

Grandma Off Grid and tnky03 n all.was as limp and worn out yesterday as an old rung out dishcloth.i crocheted and went to bed.all day.pooped.
well today i got up and pulled lots of weeds from our yard.
got the radish leaves too close.thinned them out.huge green leaves on the radishes.so i just cleaned them and chopped them up and cooked.they are very good.

going to check out yard sales in our park.today is the last day.hope u are all doing good.

tnky03
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 14:30

Wow Kelly, it sounds like you can do most everything! I wish I had more strength to lift so I could do more building on my own. About twenty years ago I framed walls, hung drywall, built my own deck and all sorts of things on a cabin I built with help from my dad and a few friends. It is frustrating not to be able to "do it all", lol! Ah the joys of aging. Your little Noah is a cutie. As always, I loved your story of childhood times and getting left at the hamburger place, lol.

Denise, you got some major good deals!!! I can't wait to see when you get finished.

Well, I had such a great time in N.C. The mountains are awesome there! I got to enjoy being with all three of my kids together and was able to see all my grands, though didn't get them all in one place at the same time. That is hard when they start growing up. I will attach pics of the grad and his brothers that live there. I only get to see them 2 or 3 times a year. Also, a pic of my youngest granddaughter, my sons, who has just moved back to N.C. with her mom. That makes me sad and I will miss her a lot.

The medicine stories you talked about reminded me of a time when I was about 8 yrs. old and had been feeling bad and a little fever, I guess. Measles were "going around" so Grandma thought that might be the problem. She brewed up some Ginger Tea and made me drink it. She said it would cause the measles to "break out" so I could get over them faster. What nasty stuff that Ginger Tea was! That time Grandma was wrong for I didn't have the Measles, even after drinking the tea. Either that or that strong stuff healed me, LOL!

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 14:36

Quoting: tnky03
Denise, you got some major good deals!!! I can't wait to see when you get finished.

thank u tnky03
gal.i am so glad to hear u had such a good time at the big family gathering.it sounds so fun.i am sorry u will mis the grand daughter and sons.
hee hee.thats a great story about ginger tea.hee hee.love it.
now days they sure do have vaccines for all the childhood ailments we all had to go thru.sort of amazing they do.
my mom use to wrap us up in an alcoholed dipped sheet...for fever.oh gosh it was horrid.lol.
well u all have a wonderful day.tnky03-i am so happy for your cabin home.its cute.wishing u a lovely day.

tnky03
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 15:21

Oops! I forgot to load pics!
the graduate, Dalton, 18
the graduate, Dalton, 18
oldest grandson, Brach,22
oldest grandson, Brach,22
second grandson, Kelly,19
second grandson, Kelly,19
youngest grand,Teagan, 1
youngest grand,Teagan, 1

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 16:25

aw.tnky03.is your name Debbie?? you are very young looking to have such old grandkids! all a very pretty family.thank u for sharing .what a wonderful life and times.

tnky03
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 18:45

Lol, yes I am Debbie and started my family of three WAY too early, lol. It has been fun growing up with them all though, at least most of the time. One thing for sure there is nothing like family and friends. I have been most blessed. Thanks for your kind words. One of my granddaughters told me recently, "Grandma, you are starting to look like a real grandma cause your hair is getting white". Out of the mouth of babes, lol.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 19:27

U look like a happy camper Debbie.well my hair is now pure white.
i had my first pregnancy at 18.glad i did this early.
i cant keep up with any little rug rats these days.lol.

tnky03
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 20:39

I was a child bride at 16, thought life with my stepmom was bad and wanted my own home and life. The old folks used to say, "Out of the frying pan and into the fire". LOL, man were they ever right! After seven years with a lazy alcoholic and three babies I got out. Life was tough but I finally got through LPN school and two years of college and was able to get my kids grown. God has been good to me and has allowed me to help other struggling single mom. I truly believe what doesn't kill us makes us strong.

cabingal3
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 21:22

wow.thats an amazing story Debbie.u turned things to good.wow.amazing.thank u for sharing this wonderful story.

tnky03
# Posted: 3 Jun 2013 22:21

I like the fun childhood stories much better, lol.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 07:47

good morning ladies. I loved reading all of this.
I wish we could all are tea and coffee and sit by the campfire and chat.
I used to have a few friends we would all do that but they have moved away or are very busy in their lives.

making stairs is easy a riser is already cut for you. you just put it where you want it nail it in and put the boards on the top for stairs. its pretty simple.
I used to do all kinds of stuff but have to slow down you know.

I did get to spend some time with my one daughter who brought the other daughter out. her name is Summer. is almost 6 foot tall. she's a beautiful young woman a conservative Christian and she would be a good spiritual leader and teacher if she had enough time to really get involved in a church. she worked two jobs.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 07:54

what beautiful pictures of you and your grandchildren!
I use to hear people talk about what it felt like when you became a grandma the first time.
having that bond is incredible.

I was 16 when I became pregnant with my first child. I was working two jobs and living on my own already. the state emancipated me because I was too old for any more placements in foster care.
many people thought I should get an abortion. my grandparents were not happy but they said no way I had to live up to my responsibilities.
they did everything they could to help me. and my twin sister was my great support.
I had a two day labor and finally a c-section.
I was in a bad way for the first week but I recovered and held my little son. my grandpa made a crib and my grandma and sister and I shopped for all the baby stuff. they loved my little boy so much

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 08:08

I met a man a year later and got married. and had four more children. right after my son was born I was diagnosed with cervical cancer and during the treatment was told I would never have any more children. I was just 17. it did take a long time but I finally had my other babies. of all the things I've done in my life being a mother was the most important and the most difficult. and the most challenging and the most rewarding.

I had a very stressful day yesterday just about broke down crying because everything seems to be going wrong and nothing was going so I planned.
in the end though it all settle down and my one daughter and I set by the garden and had a nice long chat. she lives in the city so I don't get to see her very often.

at my grandma's funeral I told a story about a young girl who was pregnant not married all alone. and how this woman and her husband took the girl under their wing and provided for her and her unborn child.
in the day in age when so many would throw away the problem.
I finished the story telling everyone about the little child who came into the world when others had wanted to not deal with the issue.
and how this little baby was now 31 and a college educated advertising executive. and much love big brother and beloved son and uncle.
and how he made our lives so full and that none of this would have been possible except for two loving grandparents did the right thing in spite of difficulties.

my little daughter has Noah and they are not married in there are difficulties there too. but I remembered how my grandparents handled things for me. so I had a good example to follow.
I know that this little boy is destined to be a great man. even though right now he likes to dump out the cat food and spill water on the floor haha

his mother is here with me taking a break from the stresses there.
his parents are loving and gentle with him and they both work so hard to have a good life but have normal adjustments when young people are trying to be adults.
I told them that the only person that matters the most right now beyond whatever issues they have with each other... is this little boy and his future.

I don't know what is going on today with the Amish but I am sitting on the front porch drinking coffee and a buggy is going by about every 3 minutes.
maybe a barn raising?

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 08:13

this is a picture of my wonderful grandma and that little boy that nobody wanted to come into the world..Sam.. he was 2 years old in this picture
20130527_19.58.32..jpg
20130527_19.58.32..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 08:14

here he is at 32 with his little nephew Noah
20130512_15.08.31..jpg
20130512_15.08.31..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 08:15

this is me and my 3 little girls. 1989..
look at that big hair style lol
20130527_19.59.44..jpg
20130527_19.59.44..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 08:28

there are people here that do not like the Amish. I don't know why. but I have friends here among them and they are such a happy people. maybe their life keeps them that way.
they work all the time but they remind me of the Seven Dwarfs and Snow White. happily going off to work while she cleans and cooks and makes a nice home for them to come home to.
work is very therapeutic and they get to see the results of their efforts.
the community work together all the time and when one of them has a problem they all pitch in to help.
they also do the same for their English friends.

I've been kind of a homebody for the last several months. I need to go down and visit.

well I am going to finish this coffee and then go work in my garden. I am determined to get my beans all planted today.
my daughter and baby are still sleeping and I'm going to let them enjoy the peace and quiet.
I hope you all have a blessed day and check back in with us later.

tnky03
# Posted: 4 Jun 2013 16:34

Oh Kelly, what a touching story! Man, we gals would talk for days on end if we ever got to meet, LOL. I hope you got your beans planted. I must try and get in the garden tomorrow and do some more mulching so I can stay ahead of the weeds. I will be picking up my son, five of my grands and the oldest's girlfriend in a little while to take them to the county fair. Their mom is working so it's Grandma up to the plate, lol. My hubby has to stay at his moms tonight. She is a widow and has some dementia. His dad passed nearly three yrs. ago and three out of six kids have stayed nearly 24/7 with her since. Last week we learned that his oldest sis has cancer that has spread from lungs to liver and both femurs. She lives closest to their mom and has done the biggest load until recently. The next months are sure to bring some unpleasant days to the family.

Thank the Lord for Grandmas who reach out to their children and grands! My parents split up when I was about two and waged war against each other over me, lol. I ended up with my dad, who refused to let my mom take me back up north (before the days of custody rights, I guess). We lived with my paternal grandparents until I was eight and Dad remarried. I can't imagine where I would be had not my grandma took me under her wing and loved and cared for me the best she was able to. I love my grands more than life itself and would do anything for them. I'm not able to a lot $$ wise but I have taught the girls to sew and help cook and plant seeds and they all think I am the best cook in the world, lol. I went over today and made biscuits and chocolate gravy (a Southern thing ,lol) for all five of them at my daughters. Oh they love it! OK best get ready to go watch the kids ride the night away. have a good evening all.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 03:55

this sounds like so much fun! taking everyone to the fair!

im up getting coffee. we all went to bed at 8pm.. haha

kind of along same thing with us kids growing up. God bless grandparents!

that is terrible about your sister in law. awful.
fulltime caregiving is rough. unfortunetly the caregiver can get very sick and pass before the patient.
i know many in same boat and been there myself.
i will put it on my prayer list. i have a poster board i put them on and also when the prayers are answered and praise reports. done this for many years.
often its all i can do but its the best thing. plus its really renewing to look back and see how those prayers were answered. one way or another.

yes it was a small barn raising. actually a family adding addition.

sent daughter get hair cut while noah and i did the shopping. did the old trick of getting cookies and apple juice off the shelf to occupy while we shopped.

we got two more rows of beans in. plus planted lillies i got from lowes. they were tossed on clearance due to being mangled a little. i promised them i would take them home and replant them. lol
life does imitate art doesnt it..

here is pic of the baby shopping with grandma. what a happy little guy he is. just a joy.
20130604_15.50.59..jpg
20130604_15.50.59..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 04:30

i know many here are not counting pennies like some of us, and might get annoyed by my constant budgeting lol..
but being raised by grandparents from the depression..it is automatic.
they taught us that if we saved in one area we could splurge in another for something we needed or wanted of good quality.

i have a box of stuff to take to free store on thursday.
will then see what summer clothes i can pick up for the baby.
we went to thrift store yesterday and it was half off day! got the baby a big thing of blocks he is playing with. daughter got her a few shirts. its nice to be able to do that. it lifts you a bit.

i get tickled by my youngest son. he is a thrifty shopper at 19.

i imagine you girls are the same. look at over priced stuff in the store and think "gee i can make that..i saw the same thing for sale at goodwill last week for a fraction of that"..

once a few years ago, i took one of the Amish grandmas up to hospital billing office.
she had spent a week in-patient the year before due to a spider bite. they never healed it but gave her staph infection. finally she came home and put old homemade bread in hot water and did a poltace on it.
it healed completely. she did this several times a day for 2 weeks. i was telling her to get charcoal to take.

anyway, at the time she went to hospital, her husband negotiated with two of the docs on the bills. he made some gorgeous horse harnesses and a harvest table.
thats a big dining table and all handmade.

well 2 more bills came in. this grandma made two exquisite queen size quilts. she had them in a box.
we went to billing office and she proceeded to show them to the ladies working in the office and explain they were to pay her bills.
while they loved the quilts, they had to explain to her that the bills had been sent to a big conglomerate in texas and she had to contact them.
my heart went out to her.
paying the local doctor with apple pies, chickens, or handmade quilts..in this day and age is getting harder to do.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 12:17

Grandma Off Grid.so enjoyed the photos of your granny.she looks so sweet.loved seeing u and your three girls.precious photos.
i never get tired of reading about money saving.i knew a couple so old and so thrifty. i loved them so.the old guy would take me and my boys in his old old truck to find windfall apples.it was so fun.
they could save both sides of a penny and have money left over.they were in Aberdeen washington when we lived there.they lived in town...sort of the outskirts of town.they moved there to the lot they owned in the depression time.he build a cabin .then as the years went on-he would build on room by room.they had the cutest little grandma/grandpa house.he grew so much on his lot.little tiny finnish potatoes he called them.he would give us so much.they even had a dog that they would comb its hair and make yarn and knit sweaters with the dog hair.
i love thrifty stories.i like friends who are thrifty too.
if a person is thrifty,wholesome and a do it themselvers.they are ok in my book.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 12:25

sadly i dont have any grand daughters close by me.i like boys better anyway.so it works out.the boys i showed u have my heart.
i dont want to raise them.they have a dad.mom is not here right now.
i try to go see my grandsons every week but lately we ve had lay offs for a week or two at a time since dec.so i have had to cut back on my visits.i am getting them in the summer.
we are going to hunt for gems,we are going to the river.theres a skateboard park,horse shoes,and all kinds of fun things we shall do.
i have not been on much cause i joined a cast iron group.i had to dig they all my cupboards to find all my cast iron ware to share it in a photo.this was good cause-i had to clean things out as i went along.
soo i found out.i have alot of cast iron ware from harbor feight tools.oh well.its not made in the u.s. of a.i found out...i had two big griddles at camp.a flatiron pan ,a heart shaped muffin pan,a lodge fry pan and a pot with a wooden handle at the cabin and a huge dutch oven.so the things i wanted to share were not here.
here is a cute little salt and pepper shaker to share with u ladies.it has cast iron at the bottom .they are so cute. i think one dollar at a yard sale.it is that time.u can save soo much money at yard sales.

here is a question for u ladies and anyone.here is a xmas tree cast iron muffin pan.well cake pan?? i dont know what its for/maybe xmas tree corn bread.lol.hugs and have a wonderful day.
cast iron s&p shakers
cast iron s&p shakers
xmas tree pan
xmas tree pan

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.