Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
manny
# Posted: 8 May 2013 08:37

Grandma off grid,,I too would love for you to right a book. I think it would be a number one seller. .just wish i had a place like yours.i know it,s a lot of work but ya got to love it.Im one of those guys who wished he had built outside the city yr,s ago. but i was to busy working and trying to raise a family. And just kept putting it off, Now it,s to late. my wife has no intention of living a country life.. Oh well i do have my little camp way back in the woods.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 09:14

Quoting: manny
Oh well i do have my little camp way back in the woods.

manny.u have everything then.your little camp way back in the woods sounds wonderful...

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 09:17

Grandma Off Grid.this is what my hubby looks like when i mention red velvet shorts!i think it means no way.
off we go to the woods.happy mothers day to all.
Outlookgar_mad.jpg
Outlookgar_mad.jpg

manny
# Posted: 8 May 2013 10:53

Quoting: cabingal3
manny.u have everything then.your little camp way back in the woods sounds wonderful...

got to agree with ya. If it wasn,t for the camp ,i,d go nuts.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 13:54 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

I went down that road to somewhat Interspersed City with country But maybe we have to do that to really know what we want.
I'll be 50 this summer can't believe it but I've spent most of my life taking care of everyone else so now I am taking care of me.

I had to go to town today so I got a special on gladiola bulbs 50 bulbs for $7. planted about half of them.

Here is the view of the front porch at 8 o'clock this morning
spring
spring

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 14:19 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

You know I sure don't claim to be a doomer but I look around and it's pretty obvious the way the economy is going on so many people out of work or just having a hard time with everything it seems.
I got into the mindset some years ago that I needed to get myself in the best possible position financially And safely.
This was after I had been home schooling my children for several years. I got used to the freedom and not having to be under the public school dictate.
The kids and I could do whatever we wanted pretty much. more times than I can remember we would just throw clothes in bags and load up the van with the camp gear I take off we might be gone a week sometimes three even for even 6 weeks.
The kids learned a lot and also put their knowledge to good use During these trips.
They still talk about them fondly.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 14:28

It's never too late I think To do something you really want to do. this is a picture of me and my fire gear I was 39 and single mother of five homeschoolers.
portrait
portrait

manny
# Posted: 9 May 2013 09:11

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
It's never too late I think To do something you really want to do
I used to believe that old saying{it,s never to late} but as the years go by! It becomes to late.I,ll be 64yrs old in july .And unless i hit the LOTO. That dream will never come true. Ive been married 40yrs come july.And unless my wife decides to leav me,,,{ i guess i can still dream}just kidding."LOL"

manny
# Posted: 9 May 2013 09:41

Very pretty young lady by the way.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 9 May 2013 12:43

Hey manny what is it your heart dreams of

manny
# Posted: 9 May 2013 21:14

Oh G,O,G. I think my dreaming days are over.I got my camp and a lot of friends. And im kinda retired. Just work a couple day a week if i want to.Im happy.really is there anything more a guy could want?

tnky03
# Posted: 10 May 2013 10:08

Grandma off grid, I love reading your posts! As another "grandma off the grid" I am encouraged to know I am not the only woman that is "aging" that wants a lifestyle that , yes requires a lot of hard work but offers SO much easier and peace. I have worked my butt off lately getting garden beds prepared and hauling mulch by the wheelbarrel ful. We have been having fresh salad greens for a few weeks now, love it. Got heirloom tomatoes planted yesterday using a method I read about on Pinterest (I am addicted to that site). You dig a big hole and put a fish head in the bottom! I couldn't remember all the other directions so I covered that with some peat, some compost, watered well and planted them. It sounded a little crazy but hopefully will work. Got my herbs planted late yesterday so I should have Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, Thyme, Sweet Marjoram, Basil, and Chives for me and lots of friends, lol. I am in heaven working in the garden. Though we just bought this ace last fall, all grown up fields and woods, it looks so "homey" already. They were to deliver our 12x40 "shed" today but It's pouring rain so probably next week.Your place sounds wonderful! Please do keep writing. I don't get on here too much but It's always fun to try and catch up on things. A Happy Mother's Day to all you moms!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 12:31

Oh thank you! your little shed will be a wonderful home! The gardens are a lot of work but it is a good therapy.
Manny it sounds like everything you have is good so you're right what more could you ask.

I am nursing the last tiny kitten from one of my cats she had 3 Only one has survived I'm thinking something was wrong. I got some titty milk I don't know if the little one will make it but I'm sure trying.

It has rained here the last two days a nice soft summer warm rain so the gardens should be coming up soon. the dog is let out at night and got hold of a skunk or something looks awful smells terrible but he has a bad habit of doing this.
Just as I got back and was trying to feed the little kittens someone was knocking on my door quite a while I know It's one of my amish neighbors. I'll have to see what they wanted later.

My one neighbor around the corner is the Amish banker. he came out here many years ago bought a lot of land then sells it back to the Amish community on land contract. he and I get along good he came to the door once when I was in the shower and I didn't answer so he just came on in. I came out in a towel and asked him if he was lonely haha he got a kick out of that.

Down the road as a young Amish family With seven young children now they are very sweet and kind will do anything for you. I have held and rocked and taken care of several of the little ones while I was there visiting. the mother had a stillborn baby a few years ago there was a English neighbor who was charging them as a midwife she didn't know what she was doing she told the mother that three days with no movement from the baby was normal. the mother went to the ER the baby had already dyed cord around its neck. she came home delivered the baby three days later.
They had the funeral they were all dressed in black carrying the little c

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 12:35

Carrying the little black coffins that the father had made. I was very mad because I am a trained EMT and also lay midwife if she had just told me I would have driven her immediately to the ER.
There are English who will take advantage of the Amish because the Amish are very frugal and try to save money anyway they can. that is probably there hallmark signature

sorry about these post I'm having trouble editing on my phone

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 13:34

Hey few years later that same mother had another baby another boy he was born by c-section because they found out she had cancer in the lymph nodes. he is fine and walking around fine now a toddler she had chemo and came through it really well.

The Bishop of this community which is all old order, his youngest son use to come down here and visit to get a break he was 14 and running the 80 acre farm all the cows and milking and all the horses and plowing and all of that. have been down to help out.
Anyway when he turned 18 he left home in the middle of the night. he did not return to the order he is 20 now and still visits me once or twice a year. he has a cell phone smartphone a Facebook account and an Amish ex girlfriend.
I didn't recognize him when he came to visit the first time he was dressed as English and driving his own car.
I know everyone was trying to convince him to stay in the order during that first year of freedom but he said no. he said he was tired of borrowing others phones and cars and felt he was being worked to death which is probably true.
The young man start working very young because they graduate after 8th grade however they can speak 3 languages fluently can build a farm or tend anything.
But they must have all their money they make to their father until they are 18.
If they stay in the order they then start buying their own land and building their own home and looking for a wife.
Courtship is very brief maybe 6 weeks and Thursday is courting night so they are out in the buggies.
They have a very solemn wedding but a big party afterwards. then there is usually a frolic or barn raising and a quilt is made a bunch of food is can to fill the pantry and the barn is done in a day or two.

tnky03
# Posted: 10 May 2013 14:25

We used to live near the Amish and made some good friends. Some of them were standoffish but most very friendly. I miss seeing all the nights. Now we live 30-45 min. from a Mennonite community. They drive cars and wear more colors. We have made a few friends and found one that may sell us raw milk. I have really missed being able to buy it. I wish I Haas my own cow but they are so expensive. Even bottle calves here are $200-$300, crazy! Grandma, another thing in common, I also was an EMT, many years ago. I then went to nursing school and worked as a nurse 25 years, many of those in ER. I miss those days. I have attended a home delivery with an Amish midwife, loved it. After several years as an OB nurse it was very different but good. Just thinking now, not sure what thread I'm on so if I am blabbing on and on where I shouldn't I do apologize.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 19:22

Well dang it I've posted but I guess it didn't go through.
Always good to meet another from the biz. I miss it too but I couldn't do it today too much lifting. I had thought about nursing might do it later when things are settled a little more.

It is like that here too with the Amish some are very friendly, some standoffish.

Much like the English and some respect
I will say my first year here I would have starved if they had brought me so much produce and for free haha.
These are all old order so not a lot of color and no cars But good people.
Here I don't worry about anything like I did when I lived in the city. the biggest problem here is the winter it can be harsh and then you only have maybe 5 months of warm weather. the seasons change very rapidly.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 19:31

I am getting a chuckle out of some of the posts I'm riding I didn't check it all as well as I should And my phone is not real good at letting me edit.

The fish it idea is excellent also I have a good bit of your man or compost it's been a Gymboree year it's like gold I put that in a non the gardens to I've been using that for many years no ill effects yet makes a great crop.

It is so need to use your own herbs
one way of drying I found was too full herbs when they're ready random on a screen or even a cardboard box wet and put them in the car with all the windows rolled up in the summer. I really didn't know anything about country life much when I began this adventure in the 90's. I met a hippie lady who became a very good friend and was very much into Mother Earth News she was. I remember her laughing when I asked how you grow straw..lol

there are some interesting ways to grow things I was looking at today for people who live in the city like pots and trellises and so on. I have burnt on old box spring and then attach that to to Kohl's and groan beans and peas and cucumbers on it.
I guess I'm just rambling to its nice to have someone to talk to haha

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 19:39

You know my neighbor down the road told me he has delivered several of his children because they were all born in the winter and the Midwife was late. I asked him how did he know what to do and he said well he has birth
many animals on the farm and it wasn't much different

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 May 2013 19:45

Here is another cool idea That is cheap and easy for a light.
I got a wooden chandelier at thrift store 4$. brought it home and pulled all the wires out. caulked little glass globes I got five for a dollar thrift store, where the bulbs would be. put short taper candles in them there were 6. Hung this on small hook in the ceiling over the table. it makes a lot of light. I think you could do the same thing with some of those cheap outdoor solar yard lights. as long as you can take the whole thing outside during the day to recharge.

tnky03
# Posted: 10 May 2013 20:40

My grandma used to dry her apples in an old car that was behind the orchard. It worked well, best dried apple pies on the planet, lol. In my cabin I had years ago I hung my herbs, tied in little bunches,upside down in my kitchen. I had thought of doing that for lighting over my table, too! I think I have an old light fixture someplace. We use a lot of led battery lights and recharge using the inverter. Right now also have 12 volt lights in our RV.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 May 2013 06:46

speaking of apples.i use to know an old couple.he had some kind of old ,really old ford truck.he would take me and my boys around to pick windfalls.sure was a fun experience.they were such a thrifty couple.they would save everything.even made wool our of there dogs hair and knitted sweaters.
we would go get windfall apples and make applesauce and also dry apples.when i move to our cabin in the woods-i will dry them in the sun.
tnky03-i love the idea of bunches of herbs hanging from the kitchen rafters.
i use to love a book called midwifery.it was by the farm.i also still have the farms cookbook from the 70's back to land movement.i think by steven gaskin.my copy is pretty shoddy by now.lots of use.
i had wanted to have my third child at home.i had a midwife who lived in a commune in eastern washington.she was pretty interesting.we ended up moving though.so i did not get to use her.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 May 2013 06:49

we use to go every week and get a gallon jar of milk from some mennonites at a farm.one dollar a gallon.raw milk.then i would have my children make butter.one day i noticed red on the top of the milk.not knowing.i said oh well.the next week we went there to get our milk.the cow had died.
so now i never buy milk or use it or drink it like this.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 May 2013 06:54

Quoting: manny
used to believe that old saying{it,s never to late} but as the years go by! It becomes to late.I,ll be 64yrs old in july .And unless i hit the LOTO. That dream will never come true. Ive been married 40yrs come july.And unless my wife decides to leav me,,,{ i guess i can still dream}just kidding."LOL

manny u are funny.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 12 May 2013 07:32

Hey girlie! How is your weekend going? Hope you are having some relaxing moments.

My middle daughter had a homebirth last year with midwife. noah just turned 1.
I got het Ina Mays book to read.
Have to tell you that story sometime.
What a night that was!
So good to see you again!

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 May 2013 07:53

thanks and good morning dear Grandma Off Grid.
thats wonderful your daughter had her baby at home.u know.the first one i was not scared cause i did not know what i was in for.hee hee.a dr.saw me looking sort of pious cause one lady came in having a baby on a gurney and was ripping her i.v. out. i think the dr.saw me and i was not far into pains yet.i was young.he came over and told me -u know u are gonna be in for some pain.i was like oh?
he was right.after a few .i read a book on how to lay on the floor and start at your toes and relax yourself.i read from this book.i wish i could remember the name of it now.its been so long.i read...having a baby is not painful.its just hard work.so i went into having the third one with this in thought.i trained myself to take it.well i went riding the waves of pain.i realized...when i did my relaxing method.the book was correct.
we sure did have a good weekend Grandma Off Grid.got alot of work done.
i love the name Noah.will love to hear your stories.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 May 2013 06:25

gut morgen sweetheart! very happy you got away to cabin for weekend, good for what ails us lol

daughter was staying with me at the time so she could use this particular midwife. she went in to labor in the wee hours and i drove her there at 2 am.
she was yelling for me to hurry and rushing daddy too.
i didnt have heart to say there was plenty of time..

noah was born at 8:15 am. two solid hours pushing due to cord wrapped 3 times. she was sitting on birth chair. i was very nervous but hid it well lol.

she had no tears or incisions. but was sore of course.
i had got them hotel to stay at for one night. they left midwifes house 2 hours after birth. too soon i thought.
but year later here is little family doing well..
201304209517.18.54.jpg
201304209517.18.54.jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 May 2013 06:29

more later after shoulder settles down and coffee.
how did weekend go and what did you all do and how was weather? it was cold and windy here aaagggg

tnky03
# Posted: 13 May 2013 08:03

Good morning from KY! Your daughter has a beautiful little family. Well the sun is bright this morning but it is quite cold, 37. Too chilly for this time of year, lol. We spent last evening covering garden plants as we had a frost warning. Found caterpillars all over my rosebush and tried out the spray I bought to use on the ants in my raised bed. It is called "Worry Free" and made from Chrysanthemum flowers. It worked great! We will probably have a few cool days when blackberries bloom buthopefully that will end the cold weather. This spring it seems that Redbud, Dogwood and Locust Winters all came together and gave us quite a stretch of cool, rainy days. After all the rain we've had the temps up in the 80's this week should getmy garden growing well. Well enough of my rambling. I hope all the moms had a good day yesterday. I just got a call from the Mennonite builder and delivery of our "shed" is to be in the morning. I am more than a little excited!

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 May 2013 08:22

Quoting: tnky03
I just got a call from the Mennonite builder and delivery of our "shed" is to be in the morning. I am more than a little excited!

congratulations tnky03.that is a very big cabin shed u are having delivered.i know u are so excited.we hope to see it.its raining here finally.i am glad.let God water my garden.i am thankful.our rhubarb is huge this year.i finally found a place in my garden where they seem to thrive.now to try to make me and gar a treat with not many calories.
sometimes i cut up the rhubarb and add a bit of sugar free jello-it makes the rhubarb redder and sweeter.then we just have a bowl of that.
we are on a weight loss diet.he has lost and i have lost.it is easier for men to loose.he has lost close to 20 pounds and me ten.i have to do this weight loss diet cause i dont want to be a big woman and he the small man.oh gosh.so move move move.diet diet diet.it will help us move more in the woods to get things done.
dear Grandma Off Grid.congratulations on the new gb.aw.so sweet.your daughter is pretty.i also loved seeing u when younger.
we rested up.we got our additon onto our cabin last week.we are going back soon to put on shakes.
here is a photo in case u missed it.
i wish u and tnky03 a wonderful day.hugs cabi
DSC_0822.JPG
DSC_0822.JPG

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.