Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 14:48

I don't know why these pictures are coming in sideways?

okay here also is my four season Garden. it is not agra farming but it will feed me lol

anyway what I did was cover the squares during the winter so it kills of the grass and makes a nice mulch.
the first square is for cold tolerant stuff then the next square will be heat tolerant and the third Square will be likewise and the last square I will plant cold stuff and cover with straw.
sort of spring summer fall winter
20130523_13.09.05..jpg
20130523_13.09.05..jpg

tnky03
# Posted: 23 May 2013 14:51

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
I did not do them either when I was working for healthcare and I never got sick either. most of the patients we had during flu season had just had a flu or pneumonia vaccine and were having complications. most of them were elderly and ended up in the hospital long time and unfortunately some of them did not make it.

When I worked in nursing I did not do the vaccines either. I took a flu shot once and was the sickest I've ever been, no more for me and haven't had the flu since. They always tried to give me a hard time...Hep B Vaccine and all but I refused. Thank the Lord it worked for me. I don't have any problem one way or the other for others, just not for me, lol. I really hope to learn more about natural healing herbs. It has been getting cooler here in KY today and to be in 40's tonight. I thought that was bad but goodness, at least no snow. Well off here to make some supper then curl up for a movie with hubby. If anyone had ever told me I'd be watching movies on my tv hooked up to an inverter and batteries I would have told them they were nuts. My how we find different paths as we travel our journey. I agree ladies, peaceful times in the country apart from all the rat race gives me time to draw closer to my creator and truly enjoy nature around me. Have a good evening all.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 15:21

I just tried to post to your message it would not go through I will try again.

you are so funny and cute!

yes I did the Hep c once until I found out I didn't have to do it. I never converted antibodies. it made me very sick so I didn't do it again. Dr said a very small part of the population will not convert.

okay last picture I promise haha
this will be my pesticide for the garden.
couple ounces of raw tobacco in a gallon of water.
let sit for a day and then I will dilute it probably three times. strain into sprayer.

PS hospital just called me and apologized about the problem I sure me it would not happen again.
now if they would send me a gift card for gas that would really be something! lol
I have had a little mini van for 6 years but it bit the dust right after I decided to stay here.
20130523_14.33.56..jpg
20130523_14.33.56..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 07:58

here also is my four season Garden

Grandma Off Grid.u have quite the gardening system there.i would think it is pretty productive.thanks for sharing this.
Quoting: tnky03
I really hope to learn more about natural healing herbs.

this is what i want to be more into also...right now i found out i have a bit of an overactive thyroid.i found out its pretty common in older ladies.they say coldness is a sign of this but i am always hot feeling and warm...another symtom is memory loss and not being able to concentrate.i was gonna let it go since it is common...but a friend said go get it fixed.u will feel better.so i shall.i had to get tb testing as a health care worker.i had to get a flu shot.not happy with that one.never will again.
I'd be watching movies on my tv hooked up to an inverter and batteries I would have told them they were nuts

this is gars plan too.i am excited to see how this works.good stuff here gal.
I agree ladies, peaceful times in the country apart from all the rat race gives me time to draw closer to my creator and truly enjoy nature around me

amen to this one tnky03!
Grandma Off Grid.some good garden tips.thank u for them.and so happy the hospital helped to fix up there mistake for u.very nice.
u have a wonderful day.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 May 2013 08:09

hey girlie let us know what your thyroid testing says.
I know there are some herbal supplements that work my friend had the same problem and did that but I think they were expensive and she couldn't keep up but insurance paid for medicines.
I take calcium magnesium multivitamin and glucosamine when I remember haha

I have been reading a lot about Boron. just simple natural borax you buy in the laundry area like to use to make laundry soap. this is what I buy.
apparently you can use a little bit a fourth of a teaspoon in a liter of water for arthritis and other aches and pains. one woman is trying it I am watching her post to see how it works for her. I have various forms I read. not members there but just read them.
sounds like it might be promising and I'm all for that!

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 08:44

yes Grandma Off Grid. i surely will let u know.they said my tsh 4 level was elevated.what ever the heck that means.soo calling them tomorrow to see.
the boron for aches and pains sure sounds very interesting.
i dont know where i saw your solar lite.pretty good.i will go look for it and learn more about it.cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 08:47

ok found it.pretty interesting Grandma Off Grid...what i am interested in is a solar cooker.a box with metal inside and a cover.so i could put our ingredients in and put in sunshine...go work about the place and then our meal is done.
Grandma Off Grid or anyone.have u had experience with a solar cooker??one u can purchase but actually maybe one u can make would be even better...of course gar cant be building more stuff while we are working on the homestead.i may have to rig one up myself.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 May 2013 09:31

hi punkin I made one. I used two boxes. one larger one smaller. put for in both sprayed that fabric glue on their first so it sticks. then had a small pane window glass to put over the small one and a bigger over the top. just used what I had around.
I put my Dutch oven and with instant rice and a can of beef stew. next to that a small covered cake pan with corn bread. it didn't take very long to cook. but it was just heating it up. the cast iron made all the difference. I have read that you can take a couple quart mason jars and paint them black. put your food in there with the lids on.
I would bet if you're going to cook beans would soak first overnight.
I did cook potatoes by wrapping in foil. they took a long time. the corn still in its husk cooked the fastest.
I think a lot of it has to do with how well it is sealed.

the t3 and t4 counts in your blood work shows elevated thyroid. that's good they check that some don't. you might be able to take medicine just for a little while and get it back down. I had to do that many years ago. took it for about 4-5 months it came down I quit haven't needed it and maybe 15 years.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 May 2013 09:34

you know I almost think you can use the mason jars paint it black just by themselves sitting in the Sun.
that's how I heat my bath water in the summer. use black pot or black bucket. fill it put it on the back porch it is plenty hot enough for a bath in the afternoon.
20130525_13.37.57.jpg
20130525_13.37.57.jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 May 2013 10:50 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

isn't this cute? I got this at a thrift store for a dollar.
its three and a half inches tall and it really works. I put lamp oil in it works just fine just like a big one.
had to get it it was so cute lol
20130527_10.47.08..jpg
20130527_10.47.08..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 11:11

thanks Grandma Off Grid for all your wonderful ideas on solar cooking.i really enjoyed reading them.alot of things to think of and how to go about this.
thanks for your info n the tsh levels.
think that oil lamp is so precious i can not even tell u how cute i feel it is.i collect minature and even bigger wood cookstoves and oil lamps and a bit of everything...small though.that is sure cute.

hattie
# Posted: 27 May 2013 13:44

I have been reading a lot about Boron. just simple natural borax you buy in the laundry area like to use to make laundry soap. this is what I buy.

Oh, please be very careful with this. Bob (my husband) has a chemistry background so knows a lot about chemicals and substances. He said Boron is a metal, Boric Acid is an acid and Borax is sodium borate which is a salt. They all sound alike, but are very different. It would be like saying Baking Soda is the same as Baking Powder. Their names sound similar but anyone who bakes knows you can't interchange them because they are very different.

I have a bottle of boric acid here beside me (we use it to coat string to make candle wicks). On the bottle it says it is a topical antiseptic and astringent for temporary relief of minor cuts and burns. It specifically says it is not for oral use.

I'm all for natural remedies too, but just make sure you know what you are taking and that is won't interact with other things you are taking. Even natural remedies can have bad interactions with each other.

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 14:33

Quoting: hattie
I'm all for natural remedies too, but just make sure you know what you are taking and that is won't interact with other things you are taking. Even natural remedies can have bad interactions with each other.

thank u hattie for this.very good important info

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 27 May 2013 14:45

agree with Debbie. also I have read about the borax and the history of the man that found the cure.
I am watching for updates from the woman who is takng it see how she does. really be something wouldn't it if it worked?

cabingal3
# Posted: 27 May 2013 16:22

i like the idea of our dinner cooking while i am working about the cabin...
not having to go in and turn on the propane in the hot summer days when we live at the cabin.
i was looking online at all the ways u can make a solar cooker.well Grandma Off Grid...its as u say."many different ways" to do this.
i dont know about cooking meat but i could put beans out there and this or that...
have it ready to eat as we come in from working.
http://solreka.com/blog/solar-cooking/how-to-build-a-bamboo-solar-cooker/

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 28 May 2013 07:45

I often wonder if you could park the car in a sunny spot roll up the windows and let the heat to cook.
this is one way I have dried herbs. it might work to cook a meal. possibly using strong Ziploc bags in the dasbooard.

I'm going to town today to go to clinic and run some errands and just relax. and use free WiFi lol

enjoy going to the big library and going through books and just sitting reading magazines.
it's been raining since yesterday so my rain barrels are full.
plus the gardens are getting a good dosing.

hope all of you have a good day and dream of the next project for your cabin!

cabingal3
# Posted: 28 May 2013 08:52

I often wonder if you could park the car in a sunny spot roll up the windows and let the heat to cook.
this is one way I have dried herbs. it might work to cook a meal. possibly using strong Ziploc bags in the dasboard.

this is possible.why not?i like it.
I'm going to town today to go to clinic and run some errands and just relax. and use free WiFi lol
good luck at the clinic.i have to call mine today too.gosh .so glad i just have thyroid problems instead of dementia.hee hee.i was worried.i hope u are ok Grandma Off Grid...enjoy free everything.
enjoy going to the big library and going through books and just sitting reading magazines.

gosh.i cant go into the library.i want to keep all the books.i dont know about yours but ours is alot of cd's now.sure sad.i love books.

it's been raining since yesterday so my rain barrels are full.

yay!!
plus the gardens are getting a good dosing

here too.90% chance of rain today.and tomorrow.i have to get out and save my red strawberries from turning to mush
hope all of you have a good day and dream of the next project for your cabin!

u too dear Grandma Off grid.my hubby is already drawing up plans for the bedroom.its next.a room 120 sq.feet with a green house connected.i cant wait to grow things out in our woods.
u have a good day.i have to run shop today.going to grocery outlet.i love to get 2,3,and 4 things for a buck.the extra i haul to stock the cabin.

tnky03
# Posted: 28 May 2013 23:26

Hi Ladies, hope everyone had good weekend. We had a good time visiting with my daughter and family, lots of good food and she and I won a game of horseshoes. I had not played in years! Getting ready for a road trip to the N.C. mountains this weekend for a grandson's high school graduation. It will be such a treat as I will have 12 grands all together at one time. Well, I've pot out more Borax mixed with sugar trying to get rid of ants in my garden. I got the first red strawberry today. It seems my plants aren't blooming well this year. We need rain, just hope no bad storms. I have tiny little green peppers starting. I planted several more zucchini and cucumber plants today. If all my plants bear well I should have enough to feed a small army, lol. Well, this old lady needs to get off here and get some sleep. Goodnight

cabingal3
# Posted: 29 May 2013 09:45

I won a game of horseshoes

hi ladies.tnky03-i love to play horseshoes.how fun.good for u
condrats for the grandsons graduation.what a wonderful time and all the grandkids together at once is amazing.
gal u can have some of our rain.its horrible.lol.i am picking strawberries today before the rot from so much rain.in fact i am picking rhubarb and strawberries today to make jam.
we sure dont have any squash or cukes yet.
glad u had a great time of it with family.
yes i need to get going myself.working on braiding a rug.yesterday i got some neat carpet squares 16x24 and they have thick rubber on back.one dollar each.i bought the dollar store supply of these out.i am stapling them down to our new addition when we go again.so gathering things to take to the cabin for the new room.
making jam and braiding rugs today.
have a great day ladies.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 29 May 2013 19:14 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

hi ladies I sure have missed you girls. I love reading about all your adventures!

I went to town yesterday in the morning to get my lab work done then scooter pooped around town for the day.
got a brand new heating pad for a dollar. it's the one thing I can't do without.

I was a bad girl and had a hamburger and french fries
and a chocolate milkshake. it was sinful and i enjoyed every bite.

I did get to the clinic and got my medications and also a slip to get an ultrasound on my shoulder.
it will give me a better idea of what's going on there.

I have been trying to work and stay off my phone. I have become a smartphone addict lol

it was nice being in town getting the errands and shopping done and I had a lot of friendly conversations. even so I was glad to get home.
I think I like going to town once in awhile to do stuff but wouldn't want to live there. not much privacy or peace and quiet like it is out here.
there's a price to pay for those conveniences.

I got the downstairs vacuumed an outside cleaned up.
and downstairs cleaned up too.

I have a question for you girls: what is better for strawberries I don't have a lot of experience growing them. should I put them out in the back where the garden is so they would get the most sun or keep them where they are and they have afternoon shade?
I know they need a lot of nitrogen so I'm using my compost.

also was reading again about the borax. it says you can sprinkle a little bit in the garden to replace the minerals that are lacking. what do you guys think?

I did make up about 10 jars of strawberry jam but I used the berries from the store because they were on sale. I only have one jar left I gave several out to the kids.

it will be a great time to have all the grandchildren Debbie.
PS my name is Kelly you can just call me that it's easier to type haha

two of my daughters may come out this weekend and bring one of the grandsons. the one year old.

last but not least.. when I got done working today I was filthy and very hot and sweaty.

so I strip down on the back porch and took a wonderful hot bath with my rain water. washed my hair with it too. no one was around no one would see me. it was wonderful and relaxing.
I am going to haul my black tub outside and fill it and it will be a hot tub.
I also got me some mountain dew so I can move my b*** up stairs and get that cleaned up too.
20130529_18.28.22..jpg
20130529_18.28.22..jpg

tnky03
# Posted: 29 May 2013 23:30

Quoting: cabingal3
i got some neat carpet squares 16x24

Many years ago I rented house that had various carpet squares on the floor in the family room. I loved that room and thought it was such a cool idea. You'll need to post pics when you get it done.

what is better for strawberries

I'm surely not an expert, but from my experience they've done better in full sun.

Kelly, hopefully I can remember your name for I have a grandchild named Kelly, LOL. Can't make any promises though for forgetfulness seems to be a plague for me and it frustrates me to no end. I must say that hot tub sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately for me there is not a spot close to our place that I feel is private enough. I can hardly wait to use rainwater to wash my hair. So far we've just used ours for watering plants, since we've not got a filter system in place yet. I hope you get to enjoy your girls and little grand this weekend.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 May 2013 06:05

hey we want pictures of them grandkids and graduation!

I will move the strawberries to Garden area.
good advice.

the carpet squares looks very homey. add a room like that once.

up drinking coffee trying to wake up and talk myself out of cleaning the upstairs lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 08:39

hi ladies I sure have missed you girls. I love reading about all your adventures!

we missed u too gal
i was busy yesterday making homemade rhubarb jam and braiding a rug.it has got to be way bigger than it is now.gar stepped on it today with his bare feet and declared it very soft.yay!! for the new room at the cabin.
i got the labels off the jars.oh my gosh.the goo left on the jars.i scrubbed and scrubbed.still goo on the jars.grr.
got a brand new heating pad for a dollar

isnt this the truth.if u got an old one.u have a real treasure.the new ones...not fit for anything.they cant trust us to know what is too hot for our skin.lol.i got an old one once still in the very old box.oh my .i loved it compared to the brand new one.barely even warm.bleck.hee hee.good for u gal.they are wonderful

I went to town yesterday in the morning to get my lab work done

hope all comes out good
I was a bad girl and had a hamburger and french fries
and a chocolate milkshake. it was sinful and i enjoyed every bite.

ha ha ha.u have to live.if u enjoyed every single bite.then it was worth the it.
I did get to the clinic and got my medications and also a slip to get an ultrasound on my shoulder.
it will give me a better idea of what's going on there.

[b]very good Grandma Off Grid.i sure pray for your shoulder getting better.sort of hard to work and do if u just cannt.our neighbor inthe woods next door to us has a bad shoulder.he can not chain saw anymore or do much.he is not happy about this turn of events[/b
braided rug
braided rug
rhubarb jam
rhubarb jam

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 08:51

speaking of going to town.i ran around a bit myself yesterday.i hate town though.at this park.i can wash dishes at my sink and see all going on inside the house next door.that means they can see us too.ha h ha ha.if i go outside to sit on the deck...i always feel i can see and hear all going on.i love the woods.i can just sit outside in my camp chair and see all these different birds flying thru camp.crows,ducks over heard,blue jays,robins,wood peckers and alot i dont know about.so pretty.love it.
should I put them out in the back where the garden is so they would get the most sun or keep them where they are and they have afternoon shade?

i would say sun.in strawberries fields they are in complete sun here.mine are going crazy.in the sunshine.
also was reading again about the borax. it says you can sprinkle a little bit in the garden to replace the minerals that are lacking. what do you guys think?

worth a shot gf.let us know how it goes
I did make up about 10 jars of strawberry jam but I used the berries from the store because they were on sale. I only have one jar left I gave several out to the kids.

i save jars from jam and other stuff.the lids can be used again.i sometimes buy those on sale fruits but mostly i hunt for free trees.over by the putting range here in town is a row of old plum trees.i take the grandkids and go pick.there is an apple orchard by the river.i pick those when thre is a good crop.blackberries are all over and i see they are getting blossoms on them.i am going to pick oregon grapes.not really grapes but look more like blueberries.people use them for a pretty bush for there yards or bussiness.they look like a holly leave with berries on them.i make jams out of those.i look on craigs list too for free stuff such as this
PS my name is Kelly you can just call me that it's easier to type haha

hi Kelly.this is easier.i am denise or rae which ever u like best
sound s like a busy day for u.feet up.funny picture.love it.love your place.when we move to the woods i want us to build a sauna.a wood stove in it.seating.i want to boil hot water on the stove and put alot of wood in the stove and sit there.then have a tub in there too.boil water...and jump in after sweating and get relaxed and clean.have robes hanging there and boots to head back to the cabin.this is just a dream

hope your day is good.good to be back home from town i bet.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 08:54

here s some carpet squares i just stapled down this last week when we were at the cabin.i am scared too death of power tools.i used the staple gun.now i am in love with it.scary but wow.and i love gars battery powered screw gun.wow.
i then got a mess of these carpet squares for the new addition.i will staple those down and then also cover the floor with a big braided rug.it cant hurt.its like added warmth.
kitchen carpet squares
kitchen carpet squares

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 May 2013 12:26

oo isn't that rug just beautiful its so colorful and homey!
I like the carpet squares too. us girls know how to do stuff don't we we know how to make do and make it look good in the process.

once I was babysitting the baby and my daughter said she forgot diapers. I said that's okay I got some I can make for cloth. haha got the funniest look for her and daddy!

I will tell you what I use sometimes when its bad grub on glass jars and lids and even a bad stains on clothing.
I spray some easy off oven cleaner on it. it works so great you just don't want to put that on anything near paneling or paint because it'll peel it.
your jam jars look very pretty you are so creative.

focus on that hot tub draw a picture or clip 1 out of a magazine and pick it up where you can see it. make sure that you fulfill all the dreams you can because we only got one shot at this.

I want to the free store today and got a bunch of things a queen size feather comforter a bunch of linens and curtains and picnic table table cloths.
a great find was is greater rocker an end table. guy there help me load.
I'll put a picture here.

its almost 90 degrees outside but its very cool inside because it's natural air conditioning.
the ice cold mountain Dew helps haha
20130530_11.24.34..jpg
20130530_11.24.34..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 May 2013 12:36

oh boy.. Debbie..Denny Rea..Grandma Kelly..

lookout here we come!

pS I have done the power tools thing used to use the
jaws of life of the fire truck. used the chainsaw and all that. but I can't do all that stuff now. however I do like the screw gun. I got a thing called a hammer tacker.
its not electric you just hit it like a hammer except it's a stapler. but it was a good 20 dollars well spent.

I know part of my shoulder is a torn rotator cuff. and then I fell on it 3 time cleaning while I was kneeling down. so some hairline fractures. I'm not worried about those they will heal. I have capsulitis and a shoulder as well and I sound like rice krispies sometimes it pops and moves around.
I am taking glucosamine that's supposed to help.
I still have one good arm and I can do a little bit with the bad one so I get along and you know it's hard to keep a good woman down haha

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 13:21

oo isn't that rug just beautiful its so colorful and homey!

ty Kelley-they are easy and fun
once I was babysitting the baby and my daughter said she forgot diapers. I said that's okay I got some I can make for cloth. haha got the funniest look for her and daddy!

lol-so funny.
oh.the oven cleaner is a good idea.thank u.sometimes when i get pots that are stained inside.i put some water and dishwasher powder and boil.man.u get the cleanest pot.and if i have a rusty cast iron pan.pour coke inside the fry pan and let stay over nite.then was out the next morning.so clean
focus on that hot tub draw a picture or clip 1 out of a magazine and pick it up where you can see it. make sure that you fulfill all the dreams you can because we only got one shot at this.

omg.that is genius.i am doing this.thank u for this
I want to the free store today and got a bunch of things a queen size feather comforter a bunch of linens and curtains and picnic table table cloths.
a great find was is greater rocker an end table

oh lucky u.i love free stores.love free.wow-i love that chair and table.very very nice.
its almost 90 degrees outside

u are lucky.warm and a mt.dew.its 64 here as the high.i went for a walk up the hill.oh gordy...but gonna keep going.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 13:26

pS I have done the power tools thing used to use the
jaws of life of the fire truck. used the chainsaw and all that

oh my gosh.wow.i get scared just seeing gar use his miter saw or the nail gun.oh scary stuff.

its not electric you just hit it like a hammer except it's a stapler

oh yeah.i use that one all the time.never can have enough power to get the staple in good.so i have to get the hammer and go over them.
I know part of my shoulder is a torn rotator cuff

oh.thats our neighbors i was telling u about Kelley.same problem
some hairline fractures

omg.gal.be careful.gosh.thats got to hurt
it's hard to keep a good woman down haha

tis! rae here signing off.u go easy.take care.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 May 2013 14:24

hey Denise. I get ready to write something I can't remember what it was haha

I got a little white shelf wood and made very pretty put that up in the bathroom. also put the Hobbit poster up in there.
this is funny I was having a conversation with the Lord yesterday about many different things and silly ramblings. 1 being that I was having a hard time finding the right cable cloth for my big table that was the color I wanted and would fit and I could afford.
guess what I found at the free store? two beautiful perfect tablecloths! and they were free too. God has a sense of humor..
20130530_13.49.18..jpg
20130530_13.49.18..jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.