Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 21 May 2013 07:08

Grandma Off Grid.thats a good story to share with people.telling all u and your children went thru in hugo.really an interesting read.thank u.i am glad everyone made it out alright.gosh.was it that long ago??time sure flies.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 21 May 2013 09:10

morning girls.
my sister used the plastic cheap shower curtains for regular curtains when her children were little because they all had an asthma. all 7 of them and her husband too! she said it helps keep the allergies down she could change them out easy and cheap.

we got one clap of thunder and three drops of rain haha. hope we will get some today need the water.

I think it is also important to remember and write about our adventures with living out in the cabin.
it will show what we did and also give good information to the younger generation.

my grandma used to write about the depression I love those stories

got to take it easy today if I can. arm hurting but then I sit and think of all the things I have to do lol

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 21 May 2013 09:18

apple cider vinegar is the best thing for any kind of bite. sunburn to
it stops the sting in just seconds and no swelling.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 May 2013 09:23

morning coffee/tea mates!i like the reasoning behind the shower curtains.never thought of this one.there is some cheap pretty shower curtains at the dollar store.more like shower curtain liners i suppose.if u make plastic strip crocheted purses.u can always purchase one of these shower curtains for lots of plastic in place of the bags they usually use.i use the plastic bags the stores give us.i use them to pack hubbys lunches in and for garbage bags and for the freezer if i double them up.
Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
we got one clap of thunder and three drops of rain haha. hope we will get some today need the water.

hee hee.we got lots of rain and no thunder.dog gone it .i left the cushion we sunbath on outside in the nite and it rained.got to go get it and let it air dry
I think it is also important to remember and write about our adventures with living out in the cabin.
it will show what we did and also give good information to the younger generation.

it is.i have a journal i keep at the cabin.each trip there i put the date and what we did on the cabin and what adventures we had when there.its great cause hubby asked me when i saw that cougar on our property.i couldnot remember so i reffered back to my journal and there was the season.august 31-sept.1...i was glad to know.
my grandma used to write about the depression I love those stories

i totally love anything about the great depression
go easy gal.take care of your arm.one time a 4x4 bean fell on my head and neck when we were building.after that i had about a year or two of leg pain.i think the bean hit something connected to the leg nerves.i hurt so bad.finally its gone away.i see us hurry and i think its not good.
at our woods.u hurry and let cords wrap around u when climbing up a ladder.i try to be on guard to watch for serious things.
i was carrying a big piece of plywood and was hurrying.ended up dropping it on and into my shin.there was a gouge that i still have a scar from.
everytime we arent careful and hurry.bad things happen.i always want to really expound on this when we are at the woods.
i wish u a wonderful day.and a wonderful day to all.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 21 May 2013 09:29 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

I was sitting there late last night. heard a sound from up stairs. it sounded like a person dropping to the ground and rolling lol
so that's why I went with the dog up there. there is an exercise machine kind of like a row machine. the handles on it were thrown back. it's right near where ceiling tiles need to be replaced. whatever it was must have jump down from up there.
I am thinking a squirrel. I was just mad that I had to climb the stairs and see what it was haha. dog wasn't
concerned so that made me not worry too much.

cabingal3
# Posted: 21 May 2013 10:37

I am thinking a squirrel. I was just mad that I had to climb the stairs

haha ha,stairs are killer.i have to climb a big stair way to go visit my son.oh gordy.its too much .ha haha.i am glad u are alright!
Grandma Off Grid.i just remembered that on our bed at the cabin..i have a flannel sheet i am using to cover some foam pads.the print is of small pine trees and little black bears.i may use limbs and put them on the windows and take my sewing needle and thread and cut up that sheet to cover all the windows in the new addition.that would be real cute,i think.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 15:56

hey that sounds adorable. and you're already have it so its free!

had to go get labs today. they got messed up so I have to go back to town to do it over.
little frustrating as I borrow my sons car and it's $25 in gas there and back.

anyway here is a picture I took this is one of the Amish farms. took it while I was driving by.

yes we must be careful when were working around the little homestead. we can't afford to get hurt!

it has been threatening to rain everyday. so far just a lot of wind and nothing else. my garden is coming up though when it gets a little bigger I'll take a picture.
20130522_14.45.44..jpg
20130522_14.45.44..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 16:15

just a PS about cheap decorating. find a poster that you really like. use a window frame that you don't need. preferrably one without glass. mount poster on window frame. hang on wall.
this works good in a room that has no windows or only one or two.
I got a poster of The Hobbit its a map of Middle earth and so on. will put that in the bathroom as it has no windows. And is done up like that.

I hope I'm not boring you all with these little tips.
here is one for getting rid of poison ivy or poison oak or very stubborn weeds like thistle.
mix equal parts of regular bleach and plain table salt.
Phil sprayer or bucket whatever you using the rest of the way with water about a gallons worth.

if you can, take a knife or something drop off the plant as close to the route as you can get and dump or spray heavily. that will kill it off. if you can get to the thistle when it is very small

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 16:16

spray it Heavily when it's dry that will kill it.
this is a good spray to spot treat in the garden.

sorry for the two posts hard to edit it on the phone

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 May 2013 16:47

had to go get labs today. they got messed up so I have to go back to town to do it over.
little frustrating as I borrow my sons car and it's $25 in gas there and back.

GrandmaOff
Grid-glad u are here.that is awful to have to go back cause of a mess up.gas is very high.every time i go pick up my grandsons.its ten bucks over and back ...hard when we are laid off alot since dec...but love those little men.

i hope u are alright...
oh i love the amish.i love the mennonites and the nazzarenes too.maybe wr.spelling.
thats a wonderful picture
it is raining here.it is snowing in our pass where we have to get thru with our heavy loaded trailer.its suppose to turn to rain by tomorrow when we leave.

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 May 2013 16:51

I hope I'm not boring you all with these little tips.

not at all.i love tips on different ideas.i love Gustav Klimt and i got a caledar of all his art.i tore each months picture out and framed them in dollar store frames.they are all over my house
I got a poster of The Hobbit its a map of Middle earth and so on

that sounds pretty interesting!
here is one for getting rid of poison ivy or poison oak or very stubborn weeds like thistle.
mix equal parts of regular bleach and plain table salt.

what about sage brush?ew.hard one
if you can get to the thistle when it is very small

can a person do something with thistle?like ues the roots for coffee or something?

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 May 2013 16:54

well-today.rainy.went up the hill to send my daughter a letter.
got all wet but it was worth it for the exercise.
hubby will come home and we will load up the trailer.

oh Grandma Off Grid...we have some people who use to live next door to us.we moved but not before we showed them our land.they bought some close to us up at our woods.they are there right now.i told them we have a cute little red building my hubby does not want.they sleep in there car when the go to there land.i told them they can have it.they wil have to get it on skids and pull it over to their property but it would give them a start and help us get rid of it.its a cute little building.i hope they take us up on it.
i wish u a good day.
thank u for all the tips. enjoy them.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 21:06

oh that is so kind of you I am sure they will be grateful to have it!

yes you can dig up the thistle and eat the root. you can pick the leaves and boil them down for a tea. but use gloves because the leaves will sting you worse than a bee.
did you say snow???!!!

cabingal3
# Posted: 22 May 2013 21:09

yes you can dig up the thistle and eat the root. you can pick the leaves and boil them down for a tea. but use gloves because the leaves will sting you worse than a bee.

ew-like stinging nettle.
did you say snow???!!!

hee hee,i sure did gal!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 21:09

if you have burdock an can get it when its young before it goes to seed you can dig the roots and crush them grind them up for coffee. these are all worst case survival stuff but good to know.
I am glad you will like your new neighbors if they can sleep in a car they're tough enough to live out there!
I have slept in my car many times while traveling and also camping and kids and I in the van. sure beat a tent and the rain haha

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 21:10

we finally got a small storm and some rain not enough to fill the barrels but it's a start

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 22 May 2013 21:19 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

my son the youngest came over and helped me do some work inside and outside. all it cost me was a potato chip dip and a can of ravioli lol

the lab test were just for a1c I have every three months but I cant get my meds if I don't have it.
just a pain that I have to go back but I have to do it.
gas is 3.99 a gallon today!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 08:07 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

here is the Hobbit map. I just thought it was interesting and pretty. can't beat for 5 bucks.
20130522_22.04.37..jpg
20130522_22.04.37..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 May 2013 08:21

if you have burdock an can get it when its young before it goes to seed you can dig the roots and crush them grind them up for coffee. these are all worst case survival stuff but good to know.

morning Grandma Off Grid.this is good infro for sure.i have a recipe chest and in it is all the pictures of wild weeds and what u can do with them.i try to memorize them.i forgot what u could do with thistle but i sure love this kind of info.we have lots of chicory here growing as i am sure its all over.sure a pretty flower.i would not mind it taking over my yard.
i have not gone to dig any up though for coffee.i use to roast soybeans and grind them up and i called it soffee.it was ok.i just love columbian coffee.
I have slept in my car many times while traveling and also camping and kids and I in the van. sure beat a tent and the rain haha

it sure does.u sound like u were a fun mom and a fun granny too.i love to be a fun granny.my daughter wanted me to be tuff.i cant.i just love fun .mainly the boys and i would spend all our time at the river.theres wild plum trees and an apple orchard there and we would pick and eat and lay on the beach there and swim and oh what fun times.
my friends spent one nite there at the woods.pretty happy people.they left.they froze.ha ha ha.
we have been getting torrents of rain here in town.i hope my strawberries dont rot off the bushes.i have been eating red ones from the patch.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 May 2013 08:23

we finally got a small storm and some rain not enough to fill the barrels but it's a start

do u just use rain water Grandma Off Grid?? are u on city water at all?i am sure glad u got some rain.we sure have gotten alot.i am glad to go to our woods to get out of all the rain.i get a sinus headache everytime the rains come.
do u?

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 May 2013 08:29

my son the youngest came over and helped me do some work inside and outside. all it cost me was a potato chip dip and a can of ravioli lol

ha ha ha-thats funny-good help lured by food-love it,
the lab test were just for a1c I have every three months but I cant get my meds if I don't have it.
just a pain that I have to go back but I have to do it.

i am glad u got it though.drs. a pain man.bleck.i ran from the poop test.they send u this kit.dont eat lamb,beets and so on and so on...for each day.dont eat this or that.its a big list.i tossed the kit.for years i tossed the kit.then i got sick.had to go to the e.r...i thought omg.they are gonna nab me on it all.pap,poop.mamogram.and more.sure enough.well i got it done.as u say u have to.so i found out the poo test is way easier now.its made for idiots.i can do it.they give u a little wand in a little vial.swipe and put the wand back in.i could do that.so glad they improved that dumb test.they gave me a singles immunization.in the back of the upper arm.who would think of that one.the back of the soft chubby part of the arm.i thought they think of ways to torture us.lol.
glad u are ok.
gas is 3.90$ here.so crazy.remember the days when it was 15 cents a gal.

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 May 2013 08:31

here is the Hobbit map. I just thought it was interesting and pretty. can't beat for 5 bucks.

thats an interesting read for the bathroom.u dont need uncle johns bathroom reader.i collect those books.so filled with fun info.
well have a good day.we are off to our woods.coming back with pictures.cabingal3

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 May 2013 08:33

if u have alot of horsetails in your yard.u can pick them and put in hot water and let someone with smelly feet soak in the horsetail water and it makes them smell better.i dont know why.we have lots of horsetails.they are a pest.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 09:59

great just wrote a long post accidentally went to Backpage deleted it aaaggg

try again.

basically what I was saying is what is the fun of being a grandma if you can't be soft and fun? we had to be tough one we were parents. this is our reward now to be fun loving Grandma's!

no horse tail here. I am going to plant couple of dwarf cherry trees by Garden. wish I had planted them years ago because they take a while to fruit.

The Hobbit map is really pretty. I read all the books when I was a kid. sure don't want anyone to think I'm a nutcase haha I am a born again believer but the last few years of being semi hermit my Lord and I have gotten very close with no distractions. I think that's the beauty of cabin life. it makes it much easier to get in touch with what is important.

my grandpa used to tell me when I was a kid to do all the fun things that I wanted to do in life because I only had one to live and not care what anyone thought. he was a smart man.

I do have a well and septic. no city water out here. but the rain water is so soft it is good for everything and no lime or rust. I usually have plenty but I didn't get all in place soon enough this spring.
I run the water through my filter for cooking and coffee.

I go to a free clinic they are decent but can only do so much. anything else they will give me a slip to take to the hospital across the street. it's a fair trade off just that gas is so expensive right now. I don't know when it's going to go down I don't know how people can continue to cope with this because it makes everything else more expensive too.

I love reading about everyone getting started and living at their cabin. to see their dream come true.

when the kids and I were home schooling we gave up vaccines. after that they never get sick. I did not do them either when I was working for healthcare and I never got sick either. most of the patients we had during flu season had just had a flu or pneumonia vaccine and were having complications. most of them were elderly and ended up in the hospital long time and unfortunately some of them did not make it.

not to open a can of worms but just saying..

I hope you have a wonderful time at the cabin this weekend! please take pictures and report back lol!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 10:02

pS I don't mind doing a TB test or a tetanus shot.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 10:08

at Walmart a couple years ago I got a large DVD set it was $10 and has 64 old black and white detective shows. like Sherlock Holmes and all the others.
I do play those everyday to relax. can't stand regular TV can't get it here anyway.
haha I have a copy of the Scarlet Pimpernel the old one. sometimes I play it when I go to sleep because its long and will repeat itself.

the strange thing about my grandparents is they were both hard of hearing grandma was deaf. so they played the TV at night really loud. we were used to it and it was the only thing that would put us to sleep lol
so even at 49 I still sleep better if the movie is playing but it can be low on the sound.

also mama cat and five kittens doing very well.
if at all possible it's good to have a few animals for the grandkids. even just a few chickens. most kids city or country seem do love animals.
I don't have a rooster but everyone around me does so I can hear that everyday. I do miss having my own though.
have a great time this weekend check back when you can hugs to you too!

cabingal3
# Posted: 23 May 2013 10:17

gas is so expensive right now. I don't know when it's going to go down I don't know how people can continue to cope with this because it makes everything else more expensive too.

basically what I was saying is what is the fun of being a grandma if you can't be soft and fun?

getting ready to head out.i sure agree.
dwarf cherry trees by Garden

yum.it may take a while but sure will be worth it when they produce.
my Lord and I have gotten very close with no distractions. I think that's the beauty of cabin life. it makes it much easier to get in touch with what is important.

i think this is very true.simple things.fresh air,beautiful nature,good mountain water and exercise.more valuable than riches.and these things bring u to the Lord.peace and quiet.time to enjoy God...with out horrible hectic city living
my grandpa used to tell me when I was a kid to do all the fun things that I wanted to do in life because I only had one to live and not care what anyone thought. he was a smart man.

very good advice.he was a very wise man
I do have a well and septic. no city water out here. but the rain water is so soft it is good for everything and no lime or rust. I usually have plenty but I didn't get all in place soon enough this spring.
I run the water through my filter for cooking and coffee.

interesting.i love it.
gas is high.the economy not so good.they lie and say its better but i dont see it.i dont feel it in our pocket books.the common folk can tell by how far their money does not go.its a tuff time for america.
I love reading about everyone getting started and living at their cabin. to see their dream come true

i love to see the cabins.all so different according to our budgets and our skills.pretty interesting for sure.i love when someone is actually living at their cabin now.i love to hear off of the grid subjects although mostly it is over my head.solar connections and such.windmills and how to get them going with solar.i am like what the heck?too deep.
but i love to read of them all.
when the kids and I were home schooling we gave up vaccines. after that they never get sick. I did not do them either when I was working for healthcare and I never got sick either. most of the patients we had during flu season had just had a flu or pneumonia vaccine and were having complications. most of them were elderly and ended up in the hospital long time and unfortunately some of them did not make it.

not to open a can of worms but just saying..

u arent.i know.our church is not totally for vacines either and also they are alot for home schooling.i did homeschooling with my kids some.did not send them to school till 8.and then the daughter simply would not go to school.so i home schooled her.oh.i am sort of for vaccines cause i had polio when a child...but my little grand daughter just had one and she was so little and she had seizures.so i figure its up to the parent.they know their child and whats best for them.i dont judge either way as right or wrong.i got one flu shot and was sick as an old dirty dog.never again.they say its cause i was probably getting sick anyway.i dont know.i have chicken pox on me right now from that shingles vacine.oh well.
don't mind doing a TB test or a tetanus shot
hee hee
ok.just sat a minute to drink coffee.now back to packing.we wil have an adventure.snowed in our woods last nite.maybe we can burn ...have a great week Grandma Off Grid.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 10:29

you too!
I so agree about the economy. watch people turn off the TV and get to Real Living I can't help but see the realities instead of what the news media's say.
think about living out there and how much cheaper it will be that in itself is a good thing and will make it much less stress to be able to really enjoy all the rest of it.

manny
# Posted: 23 May 2013 10:32

20130522_22.04.37..jpg

Thats something im interested in. Where did you get your map? Im a big fan of the hobbits and anything to do with lord of the rings.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 23 May 2013 14:41

hey Manny I got it for $5 at Walmart its where the posters are. its very interesting it's pretty.

okay here is my makeshift solar outside light. I glued the light to a bottle cap then the bottle cap to a small lid then the lid to the bottom of the holder. does that make sense? I am sure someone can improve on this but here it is.
20130523_14.33.30..jpg
20130523_14.33.30..jpg

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.