Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
tnky03
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 12:49

I never tire of thrifty stories either. I am the only person, well maybe one dear friend also, that is nearly too thrifty for Goodwill, lol. I often see something and think, " I will wait to find that at a Yard Sale for a fraction of the cost", lol. After being a single mom for many, many years I learned to find bargains. Well, the kids had a great time at the fair. Grandma was pooped though. I was a bit of a "duck out of water" I think. There was a lots of young folks with blue and multi colored hair and just wild looking, lol. I think I fit much better out in the country. I guess I best get to mowing before the grass grows another foot, lol. Also, need to check the garden and cut some lettuce and spinach for some salad. Have a blessed day. Thanks Kelly for your prayers for my sis in law.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 14:23

Quoting: tnky03
I'm not able to a lot $$ wise but I have taught the girls to sew and help cook and plant seeds and they all think I am the best cook in the world, lol. I went over today and made biscuits and chocolate gravy (a Southern thing ,lol) for all five of them at my daughters. Oh they love it!

so lovely.money is not important gal as u spending time teaching them these wonderful skills and also cooking for them.thats what grandmas do.wonderful.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 14:26

need to check the garden and cut some lettuce and spinach for some salad
yummy
Well, the kids had a great time at the fair. Grandma was pooped though. I was a bit of a "duck out of water" I think. There was a lots of young folks with blue and multi colored hair and just wild looking, lol. I think I fit much better out in the country.
lol.thats funny and glad all had fun.sounds so fun
I often see something and think, " I will wait to find that at a Yard Sale for a fraction of the cost", lol.

hee hee.me too Debbie.
Have a blessed day

thank u.u too gal.
Thanks Kelly for your prayers for my sis in law.

i am praying for your sil too dear Debbie.i wish u a grand day.hugs cabi

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 15:09

My spring is going great!!! Garden is growing!!!! So is the grass. cutting a 5 acre yard is so fun every week!!!!
Got grandboys on the way!!! Granddaughter got here Monday!!!! Got chicken halves and boston butts on the smoker!!! Peach ( fresh local peaches) ice cream to be made!!!!! It's summer time in the south!!!!!!.....

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 15:24

Quoting: turkeyhunter
It's summer time in the south!!!!!!.....

hey turkeyhunter...spring in the south.whew.thats pretty wonderful.enjoy those grand kids .wish we were at your house helping u eat some of those goodies.

cabingal3
# Posted: 5 Jun 2013 15:25

Debbie.sorry.i did not mean to over look about your sil.theres so much wrote and i have been reading it bits and pieces as i go along.hugs cabi.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 19:25

hey the beans are up! silly I guess I was so excited to see them poke their little heads up!

grand baby keeping grandma busy. I was on the porch with him and my daughter today and watching him every second and he still fell off the porch and hit his head. he is fine but scare me and Mama very much!

he has a little soccer ball that he kicks around just like a pro. kicks it all over the yard. never seen a one year old do that.
he is helping me with the garden. he gets the big water can drive to water brings me stuff haha he is so cute.

weather was cold today kind of sick of it.
other than that just doing normal stuff. a little pick up a little cooking. wash the dishes you know

all is well hope you all are too. I have to go get the other piece to finish the stairs. will try to do that tomorrow maybe if it warms up.

trollbridge
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 19:30

Turkeyhunter, that's it! I'm heading south! You make summer sound just wonderful! Our weather here needs an attitude adjustment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 21:23

lol amen!

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 7 Jun 2013 21:46

How does 100F sound? That's how hot it is where I'm headed!

hattie
# Posted: 10 Jun 2013 22:12 - Edited by: hattie

I just made this recipe and HAD to share it with you. Oh my, it is amazing!! The grandsons will be coming to visit in July and I wanted to make s'mores, but they are so messy. I came across this recipe for s'more squares and oh, my goodness. Let's just say, it's a keeper. Here it is:

S'More Bars

½ cup butter, room temperature
¼ cup brown sugar
½ cup sugar
1 large egg
1 tsp. vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all purpose flour
¾ cup graham cracker crumbs
1 tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. salt
3 Cadbury Dairy Milk 100g milk chocolate bars
1 ½ cups marshmallow crème/fluff (NOT melted marshmallows)

Preheat oven to 350 ̊ F. Grease an 8-inch square baking pan.

In a large bowl, cream together butter and sugars until light. Beat in egg and vanilla. In a smaller bowl, whisk together flour, graham cracker crumbs, baking powder and salt. Add to butter mixture and mix at a low speed until combined.

Divide dough in half and press half of dough into an even layer on the bottom of the prepared pan. Place chocolate bars over dough and cut the bars to fit perfectly. Spread chocolate with marshmallow crème or fluff. Place remaining dough in a single layer on top of the fluff (you can roll it out between two pieces of waxed paper to an 8 inch square and then lay it on the marshmallow crème/fluff).

Bake for 35 minutes, until lightly browned. Cool completely before cutting into bars (or if you're having a bad day, just eat it straight out of the pan - seriously it is THAT GOOD!).

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 06:04

hey yall. hope everyone is well!
son down with strep. ran him to urgent care.
sent daughter and grandson home so dont get sick.
mom no sleep not feeling good. son starting to turn corner. very slow going. got a bad attack of it.
moms shoulder feels like 2 mice inside fighting over
last bit of pb in jar.
garden doing very well. been raining good soft warm rain so that will help.
if ya dont see this ol gal for few days prob means she is fighting off the strep too.

no matter what i am looking forward to first harvest.
picked a little lettuce. man is it good!

hugs to you all and enjoy the fruits of your labor.

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 09:03

Hey all.Hi Grandma Off Grid.good to see all.gosh.hope everyone gets well.
glad your garden is coming up.
been busy making my braided rug.we got piles of free carpet samples this last weekend.i have been playing with them.laying them out to see how many i need and if i have enough of each to fil a room.i do.whee.so happy.so next time to cabin,i will staple them down to the floors.
i have to take everything out of the main room of the cabin and put those down.put everything back in.then start laying the carpet samples down in the new addition.

speaking of sons.my son was on his commerical fishing boat and fell.got knocked out.laid there we dont know how long.he got up...got home.thought he had lost his nose and eye.he was not going to the e.r. but his woman made him go.he said he was seeing 4.he is healing up.my poor buddy.my most prettiest kid and now he thinks his cheek wil be caved in...
he said 5 days after this happened.he ws still seeing lites shooting out of his eyes.
have a great day everyone.hugs cabi
not looking too good
not looking too good

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 13:43

oh no! will add him to prayer request board!

cabingal3
# Posted: 11 Jun 2013 13:44

Thanks Grandma Off Grid.he is doing better.he better pretty up cause he is getting married july 4th.heehee.thank u.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 12 Jun 2013 03:49

oh hey congratulations! will be expecting pics you know!

my boy is better too. ate a litle potatoes.
i put away almost whole pineapple. it almost
always nips it in bud for me.

got last row beans in. 3rd square ready to plant now.
nice rain and heat. will go out put more compost around potatoes.
exciting i know lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jun 2013 06:06

Grandama Off Grid...last week at the grocery store they had fresh pineapples for ten for ten dollars.thats pretty cheap.i thought about buying some to can but they were on the smallish side.
glad your boy is better too.
working on pulling up hubbys carpet in his den.such nasty work.
trying to get it done in time for fathers day.
pull up padding and carpet.scrape and put rug squares down and then put it all back.
i wish u a wonderful day.hugs cabi!

tnky03
# Posted: 12 Jun 2013 10:18

Hello there gals, I have missed being on here. I took another short trip, this time to my home state TN. It was so go to visit with my sister, hadn't seen her for a long time. I also visited my uncle and aunt. They are in their 80's and she in poor health and dementia. It seems the older I get the more I see family as a precious treasure. Kelly, I hate to hear about your families sickness and hope all are soon well. Oh Cabi, how awful about your sons accident! I pray he completely heals and quickly so he will be 100% for his wedding. Girls my garden is growing much better with the rain we've had. Can't wait for all the good food! I need to get out in the field and check the blackberries, hope there will be lots of them. Well off now to get caught up on my work here. You all have a good day.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jun 2013 16:23

Hi Debbie.its good to see u.i have not been here much either.so glad your garden is growing so well.both of u ladies.oh i have been eyeballing the blackberries too.
i am glad u got to visit your sis.and uncle and aunt.poor ones.i love old people.oops.not suppose to call them old.they are so cute.
hugs to all.have a wonderful day.cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 Jun 2013 08:21

hello ladies! bad storm all night but all is well. made me some dinner and hot chocolate. watched Netflix on my phone haha
Garden is doing really well. 5 rows of beans are up.
covered two squares because it got rained on now it will bake and the like soft butter to plant.
don't know if Son will go back to work today. he is still pretty weak. but he has missed a week of work and I know he's worried a little about his job and misses his friends there.

apple trees are loaded. abandoned property full of cherries and stray blackberry bushes are everywhere.

going to plant more corn and third square along with squash. like the Three Sisters garden but without the beans.

rain barrels are full. used my homemade pesticide but will have to do it again because it rained.

hoping you all have a good day and all the illnesses and injuries are healed quickly!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 Jun 2013 08:24

PS I like watching the old shows on Netflix.
Sherlock Holmes Miss Marple Piorot..
and of course Kolchak Night Stalker. anyone remember this show? it came on Wednesday night and we would all has kids gather around the TV.
make popcorn. we had three channels on the big console TV. lol

tnky03
# Posted: 13 Jun 2013 11:10

Good morning gals, Kelly, so glad no damage from the storms. I remember our old black and white tv, no remote and yes, three channels. We always watcher I Love Lucy, Andy Griffin, Dragnet, and Red Skelton. It makes me sad seeing all the horrific violence kids watch and games they play. It seems they have lost the simplicity of childhood. We've not been able to do any work on the cabin recently as I have been on the road so much and hubby got his hours increased from the normal 18hr./wk to 36hr. His hrs. will go back to 18/wk. in July so until then maybe a little can get done on weekends. Well, best get back to my laundry. We are to get some storms so I am at our local laundry washing and drying clothes. The place is so clean and cute, I don't mind at all coming here, well except the cost. LOL Have a good day all.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 Jun 2013 20:17

hey girlie..i like laundromat too if needed. its so nice to get it all done at once.

when my girls were small they had more clothes
and shoes than that woman in cuba.
i got them each a big laundry basket and said
whatever you can fit in here you can keep.

did same with dishes to cut workload down.
everyone got to go to the store and pick out their
own dish set and silverware also glass and cocoa mug.

i wrote thier names on them. we all took turns doing dishes. it made things easier because if in between meals they had only those to use and had to wash themselves

hey here is pic of one of my apple trees with apples.
20130613_09.32.25..jpg
20130613_09.32.25..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 20:47

Hi all..its been storming alot and rain barrels are full.
Garden growing great. cukes coming up.
Went ahead planted morning glories cause pack got wet and they sprouted..haha

got chicken coop almost done. upstairs cleaned.
Slowly but surely getting to rest of it.

Here is my oldest son at a cafe doing a rap at a poets
Show or something. he had met with clients and stayed for show. hes a nut. like jim carrey.
This is oldest son Sam..

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 20:52

Well darn wouldnt let me upload. too big.

Ok here are some other less exciting pics.
Hydandrea bush planted in honor of my grandma
and strawberries in honor of my brother. these were thier favorites.

Also i saw idea for compost. 2 tires with some kind of lid. will get pic of that. works good.
20130615_10.30.21..jpg
20130615_10.30.21..jpg
20130615_10.31.24..jpg
20130615_10.31.24..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 Jun 2013 21:04

Here is mower i got. and compost thing. will add another tire and more dirt. its full right now and busy doing its "Bidnus"
20130616_20.55.28.jpg
20130616_20.55.28.jpg
20130616_20.56.06..jpg
20130616_20.56.06..jpg
20130616_20.56.19..jpg
20130616_20.56.19..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 04:34

Grandma Off Grid.good morning.sorry i have not been on.was wondering what u were up too.i love the picture of your apple tree.yeah.whats up with the garden this year?theres tons of apples,and fruits of all manner.wow.we never had so many apples on our tree.yours looks the same.very good.
thats so cool about older son Sam.in portland we use to go to shows where people would get up -people off the street.they would get up and sing or do poetry.sure fun.
Hydandrea bushes i love so much.i cant grow them.i dont know if its our soil.come to think of it.i dont see many in our park.dont know.
i love your tire idea.gar wont let me have tires.lol.i sure want some though.i love your idea.love the mower.wow.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 08:05

You know this is funny. but i never knew this about hydandreas. if they are in acid soil they make blue blooms. if they have more nitrogen they make pink.
Hope i got that right. i put this one where the wood pile used to be so more acid soil.

How are you doing? I have just been piddling. going to try to finish the chicken coop today. it's somewhat cobbled together but it will work.
Just can only do a little at a time Because shoulder hurts and I can't reach up much with that arm.
But I am getting it done.

I like using tires because the soil warms good and faster and no weeds and very good drainage.
But my tires Had to be refilled with compost Because I moved them. too much hauling.

I took your advice and moved strawberries to main garden area. these are in a tire and doing better than most everything else.

Using my homemade pesticide out of pinch of tobacco and water. this is working very well on everything.

So projects right now R to finish chicken coop And back stairs off deck. fix some ceiling tiles upstairs.
And this window I have on the stairs inside.

I saw a picture of a small fenced in area. man took railroad timbers and nailed or screwed t posts to them in a square. much easier than pounding them into the ground.

Just rambling having coffee. the amish go by each day with huge loads of loose hay on wagons. cant hardly see the driver up there on top.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 08:20

Ps: mower was 300$ and worth it. retired guy down the road fixes and re sells. he said the old mowers last forever. but the newer mowers give out in just 2 or 3 years. he is a sweet guy who knows his stuff.

I wanted to add a note here. I have had my little smart phone for a couple months. I love having it and not having to pay for additional Internet. I don't use my laptop at all. just my phone.
I do watch a little videos And movies. I use my phone every day and have never gotten any notice that I'm over the unlimited amount lol though I know there are others who have. they use Pandora radio and that takes a lot also I always turn off my apps when I'm done so they are not running in the background.

I was outside in the yard with my dog The other day And a guy pulled up and his pickup. of course the dog was barking. he is a good watch dog. the guy jump right in trying to sell me steaks and so on. very hyper and no introduction but I let that go as I was in boxer shorts and a tank top looking pretty scraggly from digging in the dirt.
He winked at and said he would take food stamps.. I said I would take some too!LOL
anyway I set him down the road to the Amish farm.. would have like to be a fly on the wall there.."chuckle"..

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 Jun 2013 12:21

i want tires.i sure know the benefits of them.our home owners assocation would squawk.lol.
i cant wait to live in our woods so i can use them.theres a ton of tires across the road in our woods on a lot.people tend to dump stuff there.
i knew this about hydrangea's .u got it right.
sure are pretty.
speaking of railroad ties.we have those for raised beds.i know people say watch out but it sure is a nice raised bed.got them free from craigs list.

i am so sorry about ur shoulder.i hope u can favor it long enough to have it heal.
my grandson is staying with me most of the summer.i wish the other one could too.one is easy.two is kick boxing each other .lol.
but i miss my 13 yr old grandson so.he is so pretty.
this one i have is ten.we are going to check the plums that grow wild and see if we can pick some.
hes been eating our green ones in our yard.
he loves sour.
we are going to the river.i am gonna show him how to use his grandpa's digital camera.i hope gar does not read this.
the camera cost 700$.but if i am there to supervise and such.its just pushing one button.we may play horse shoes there at the river too.theres horse shoe competitions there in the summer months.they leave the horse shoes for all to play.we like to do this.i am looking for free things to do with him.i dont want him home on the computer all the time.
me too.just having coffee.hugs cabi

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.