Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 07:49

how is everyone doing this spring any gardens going yet? I am going to try to start on my mine today.
everyone is out doing spring cleanup.
still reading site everyday a little difficult to post with my phone but I'm getting there.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 07:53

oh yes by the way I got a good cheap riding lawn mower. chickens are laying again thinking of whether I want a rooster for Babies if I want to take care of them during the winter too.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 08:15

here is a picture of my compost toilet I got this for $5 at a thrift store it's quite pretty isn't it lol
20130506_08.09.48..jpg
20130506_08.09.48..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 08:15 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

the picture isn't very good sorry about that I will work on it

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 6 May 2013 09:14

got mine planted late...planted 12 mater's and 8 peppers....not as much as in the past.

2 things money can" NOT buy" is true love and home grown tomatoes....LOL a old saying here in the south.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 11:05

nothing taste as sweet as one its just picked up the vine that you grew where the good Lord help of course! I'm going to try this year to make as much of my yard a garden that will cut down on the mowing also.
after going to the grocery store yesterday I couldn't believe the prices!
have you ever tried rutabagas? I did some last 2 years they are so easy to grow from seed. they taste wonderful and take the place of potatoes if you like and or more healthy.

manny
# Posted: 6 May 2013 13:42

here where im from . rutabagas are called Turnups.

hattie
# Posted: 6 May 2013 14:40

Our onions, lettuce, spinach and radishes are beginning to poke up. We are hardening off the tomato plants and cucumbers by taking them out every day and bringing them inside at night. The strawberries are coming along nicely. Spring has finally sprung in our neck of the woods! YAY!!!!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 15:55

lol yes when I was a kid it was the same way but rutabagas are actually difference then turnips though they are both delicious!
is it just me or was it a late spring? every year around here this is a big topic of course but what else would we have to discuss?lol

rayyy
# Posted: 6 May 2013 17:01

Mine is going great.Had the back surgery 2 weeks ago and the horrible pain is gone.I can now lie down in any position I please,sleep all night long,sit straight on a chair,,,just Awesome!Haven't felt this good in years!I feel like a twenty year ol,,,well,,,,maybe fourty year old,lol.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 6 May 2013 19:36

oh I am so jealous need surgery on shoulder but actually working outside and the pain meds are starting to i think maybe to help? I've had that bad back pains a lot of us have I am sure living how we do its pretty bad I'm glad you were able to get the surgery!

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 May 2013 12:26

Grandma off the Grid.love u.happy to see u on.i dont get on alot myself but sure always wishing everyone happy cabin-ing!
got our kale pulled up yesterday.i had a whole raised bed of kale,broccoli and lettuce.it was such a godsend n the winter months.we have had many a good ole pot of cooked greens.when spring came.i have been using kale,broccoli leaves,the flowers of all and lettuce from the garden with store lettuce to make big salads for me and the mister.sure a godsend.yesterday i pulled up all and cooked up the last big pot of greens.
i got the tomatoes planted.i got something called winter onions or walking onions.they multiply and u dont have to buy bulbs once u get these planted.the garlic is good.the blueberry bushes are just filled with berries and the rhubarb is just doing so good.

big year here for strawberries.i have tons of blossoms.our radishes are up.so great.love it.
hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 7 May 2013 12:31

i am so glad u got a riding mower.and your chickens are laying.we have a cougar on our property.i think it runs thru our woods on the deer trails.i hope its not holed up in our old mobile home.
in winter.its so cold.i dont know what chickens would survive.a rare minus 25 this last winter.i have heard of artic chickens.what the heck is an artic chicken??our neighbors raise them.i will find out more.
yes we are headed out to do spring clean up and we are adding on a living room to our cabin.
u got a wonderful deal on your compost toilet.
gal.u are right.what a winter that one was.whew.never thought spring would get here.

rayyy.so happy to hear u had surgery and are feeling pretty chipper.yay for u .

oh when i was a kid our maid cooked us turnips.they were heaven.she knew just how to cook them.put sugar in them.cut up turnips with sugar.oh it was a treat.yum.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 05:56 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Hey thank you cabin gal! I am sitting here having morning coffee and wrapped up in a blanket. the floor is not insulated so in the winter it's cold but in the summer it's a natural air conditioner.
I got red potatoes yellow and white onions and two rows of early girl corn plus a bunch of flowers and herbs put in. will do more as I'm able do to shoulder hurts trying to do this all with one good arm and hand lol.
I had a little bath yesterday on the back porch and wash my hair with rainwater nothing Beats it.
Still a lot of repair work couple windows should ceiling tiles things like that

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 05:59

Still getting used to using this phone but its great no internet bill.
My bills here now are my phone light bil.l and the taxes twice a year. last light bill was $7.64. phone is $45 and taxes less than a hundred year.
I don't eat much and I store a lot So I should be okay.
I'll take some pictures today and see if they come out okay And put them here.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:03

I got that toilet 2 years ago. it's like a little throne lol
compose from it age is a year and it's the best fertilizer. I have two others but this is the best one.
Hope I'm not boring anyone haha.
This weekend is Mother's Day I am going to go to grandsons last soccer game my kids asked me what I wanted I said a few hours of labor and we'll call it good they are good kids

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:07

Listening to Sherlock Holmes old movies. my back deck needs to be fixed so if my son comes out my oldest he will help me. he is an advertising executive for a big company has done well he was homeschooled. he's very funny too! I know they used to wonder why I live like this until they got older and lived in the city Now they love coming out to the country. they were all homeschooled and we had a small farm but I guess they wanted to be in the city for a while now all they talk about is getting out and coming here to relax lol

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:13 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

I got all the junk pulled away from the back of the house and now at some point this summer It needs some kind of insulation maybe Tyvek would be enough for now. it is that old asphalt shingle and I wonder if it's okay to put the insulation over it? it's the west side so that's where the prevailing winds are and that's the side that needs some insulation most.
This place is very old very well built it has a foot and a half of blown in insulation And the walls have horse hair plaster it was built pre Civil War the floors are white pine I know and if you climb up into the attic it looks like a gigantic chess board with the beams.
Hey few years ago I was cleaning up stairs and found a baby bird trying to get out maybe teenage age and it was a peregrine falcon. the parents had a nest near the top of the old chimney. I took a picture of the bird and then let it go good post but pictures are on my old laptop not sure how to get them on to my phone.
I would also like to take a picture of the farming going on now on one side of the road there is a modern tractor and the other side of the road is the Amish pulling a 6 horse team. kind of neat picture

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:26

I'm going to go take a ride to the Amish store. its in the back of one of their houses it used to be just down the road and I can walk but they moved it.
Everything is bagged up in little bags an old peanut butter jars and so on but very clean and very well done. and it's all real cheap.
Lots of cooking supplies and nuts and baked goods and cheap grocery stuffs.
Usually there is fresh baked bread on Thursday and Friday also cheap Free range brown chicken eggs Though I don't need them.
I can put an order in on Thursday for Friday pick up of whatever baked goods I need From my neighbor around the corner.
I had him build me a photon couch once years ago that I saw in countryside mag. also a tabletop from a pedestal I got from junk yard for $5.
He builds anything and makes very nice picnic tables so I might get one.
He knows I need roof repairs so he told me that he used that paint you put on the top of the trailer for some of his robes and it worked very well and its pretty cheap.
He said his son and another man could do the roof for $500 that includes labor & Supplies Plus some of the eave work. its just nailing up a few boards but its 30 and 40 feet up there.
I had them do some of that roof work years ago they walked the pitch Right across the top of the roof its 40 feet to that top And it's kind of steep they didn't even flinch lol.
That's when I had a small general store here and had an ice machine that was the biggest seller.
I also had a small newspaper and have thought about doing that again have had many requests to start up.
During the summer we would have A community yard sale weekend a few times everyone brought their stuff and it worked out pretty good.
I also had the idea of having a small thrift store here but I don't know yet.
Just early morning ideas over coffee haha

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:32 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Here is something I made for my little smart phone. $1 small picture frame from dollar store and $1 pack of velcro.
put a little velcro on the back of the phone and
also on the picture frame then just stick the phone on the frame and stand up the frame so it's like a little TV
that is Miss Marple playing on the phone via YouTube
CAM00002.jpg
CAM00002.jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:53 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Here is my Cunningham wood stove and home comfort wood/coal cook stove. I don't use it much in the warmer months unless I'm going to do a lot of cooking.
The wood coal cook stove was given to me for free from some people down the road. they bought a house and the stove was in there they didn't want it.
Had a couple big Amish men move it for me they did it for free they put it on a carpet and drug it into the house. it is really a joy to use it because it bakes and cooks like nobody's business I love making bread and it.
20130508_06.44.28..jpg
20130508_06.44.28..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 06:55 - Edited by: cabingal3

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
Hope I'm not boring anyone haha.

no u sure are not.
Hey thank you cabin gal! I am sitting here having morning coffee and wrapped up in a blanket. the floor is not insulated so in the winter it's cold but in the summer it's a natural air conditioner.

Hey Grandma Off Grid.this is why i dont like the newly built houses.too insulated.all u can do is get sick.i like air coming in.
your garden is coming along.
this is a good thing for sure.
i cant wait to live out on our property to be free as u are.

i am taking filled milk jugs to the cabin today.they are filled with water.i will put some in the sun for our showers...so we can bathe.we are gonna be in our woods for five days.so we will get pretty dusty.
we will hide in the shower i made from canvas i tore off the porch of the old mobile home we need to tear down.i tacked the canvas around three trees so we have a private place to shower.
one day we want an incinerating toilet.just burn up the poo!then put it out in the garden.sterlized they say.
I don't eat much and I store a lot So I should be okay.

well this is the way to being ok in my way of thinking too.
sounds like u have better luck with getting your grandkids help than i do.this is great.
have fun with the family on mothers day!
you should write a book .u have a way of writing and talking that is very entertaining...sort of folksy newsy way of being .

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:02

Well thank you I think I sound kind of dumb sometimes Haha
when I was working the road as an EMT firefighter I was writing a book. I'd like to finish it.
It was all about the calls we ran and the fires but there was a lot of Scrabble about the HIPPA law so I put it off. I let some people read it and they liked it very much a lot of funny stuff and some sad ones too.

The milk jug sounds good for a shower if you just have a black bucket they are a dollar at the dollar store you can fill it with water and said it out in the Sun it will be warm enough for a wash me up.
I know it sounds like a lot of work living out here but I love it so it's very peaceful and did I say cheap

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:06 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

If I haven't bored you yet here is a picture of my kitchen. I have a dry sink with a bucket it works good also I usually have a couple large trash cans fall of rain water in the kitchen.
I would say half of what I have in here is from the junk yard or thrift store given to me for free or side of the road lol.
About 10 miles away is a free store I take stuff to donate and have picked up a lot of things.
It's kind of funny when I go there people are bagging up close like they need anymore and looking over passing by cast iron candles quilts
20130508_07.04.13..jpg
20130508_07.04.13..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:08

Where is my Cunningham wood stove and home comfort wood/coal cook stove.

love those stoves and your place.pretty cool.very homey.
your idea of a thrift store is good.
i want a mrs santa shop.i want my man to dress up in red velvet shorts in the summer with suspenders and me in my mrs.santa suit and to have all kinds of crocheted and knitted xmas ornaments.
i dont know why hes not game to do this though.it would make us money.he would be the perfect santa.
well off to get me a cup of coffee too.we are packed up and ready to go to the woods.i hope you get the back of your house covered with tyvek.i love that stuff.i would love to go to an amish store.i saw one on larry the cable guy.pretty nice.we use to have an old co-op in town that was in the 70's.it was as u describe your amish store.they had turkey eggs,duck eggs and quail eggs, and all kinds of eggs u could purchase for cheap.i always loved going there.they had a place upstairs where ladies would teach u to quilt.they gave u material and batting.u could make ur family a quilt for free-if u made one for some other family somewhere.so i was making quilts.they were actually comforters cause they had this polyester sort of orange material.tons of it.u would just fold it over with the batting in it and sew up the sides and then tie it off.they were sure warm and colorful and the best-free.have a great day.love your photo frame and velcro.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:16

I do hope you can get to your cabin full time and your man doesn't mind red velvet shorts in the summer!

When I had the store here I also used the up stairs which is a large ballroom with the wood floor and stage And also a bedroom.
I had community events events there. it was really fun but hard to get people up the stairs.
Please write back and let us know how your weekend went!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:20 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Here is a better picture of the toilet, I moved it into the light.
Okay better get dressed now and get to the task at hand or I'll sit here all day!
20130508_07.17.12..jpg
20130508_07.17.12..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:26

I do hope you can get to your cabin full time and your man doesn't mind red velvet shorts in the summer!

hee hee.gal.hes on this group.hee hee.
Well thank you I think I sound kind of dumb sometimes Haha

actually no u really dont.its really fun to read what u have to say.i am not all technical like the fella's.so its nice to have a homey granny as myself to read about and talk to.
thats a pretty nifty toilet.we have an outhouse but it hmm.it has a five gallon bucket under the seat.we dont want bad things going in the ground.theres a high water table at our land.so its not really an old timey outhouse but sort of a yuppie outhouse.u have a good day Grandma Off Grid.hugs cabi.
will bring back photos from our woods to share.

cabingal3
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:27

If I haven't bored you yet here is a picture of my kitchen. I have a dry sink with a bucket it works good also I usually have a couple large trash cans fall of rain water in the kitchen.

i love your kitchen.its like an old timey pioneer place.love love love it.u are lucky to have such a cool place.thank u for sharing.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 8 May 2013 07:43

You too cabin gal! In a Happy Mother's Day to you too!

PS: there is a bucket for the toilet lol remember to compost that one or it is such a good fertilizer.
looking forward to your pictures and remember whatever you have to do is what you have to do so any kind of party is fine lol

. 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.