Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 07:06

I was reading where is too much static electricity from the person or even the room they are in can cause a laptop to do that. they wear a metal bracelet with a clip stuck somewhere to something as a ground wire. like when you're jumping a car battery.
can't remember all what I read but it was interesting because I have had that problem before.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 07:10 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

looks like us girls have created a thread just for us lol nothing wrong with that. I like this I check throughout the day in between chores and so on.

one of the kittens I have been nursing is now on hospice care. I get so tired of this.
one of my Amish neighbors said to me once,
" as long as you have animals sooner or later you will have dead animals".
I wish he wasn't so wise.
on the other hand the other small kitten is doing very well mama took over kitten is fat and sassy.

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 May 2013 07:59

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
looks like us girls have created a thread just for us lol nothing wrong with that. I like this I check throughout the day in between chores and so on.

lol.i do too Grandma Off Grid.i have my coffee and look forward to coming in to see what u and tnky03 have posted.
that is so interesting about the static electricity.
i like hearing what u both have to say.like the static electricity fact.
well i am sorry about kitty not doing well.at least the mama n one baby are doing good.

today i am looking on craigs list again.if i find something good to haul to the cabin if it is in my tiny city i will go grab it.
i would like a deep utility sink for the back porch of my cabin.it would come in really handy.
i was thinking in the winter i could put foods in it that need to be kept frozen.in the summer i could wash clothes in it and hang them out.

hubby is gonna build the door to the front of the cabin.he is working on this.
i have been puttering in my shed to clean out a chest of drawers we need to take down there this time.
we have bullets,levels,firestarters,all kinds of stuff we could clean up the cabin by putting all this extra stuff in the chest of drawers.
it would just clean things up and give us another surface to have to put like some cute things on.oil lamps and such.

well i am getting along on my braided rug.
its going to be big enough to cover the cabins new addition.we still have alot to do before i start to decorate.ha.i always get excited and jump the gun.

shot my hubbys 22 with short bullets.sure loved that gun.want to take it over from him.
well off i go to see what my day holds.
hugs and i wil check in too.have a great day.love photos of your house Grandma Off Grid.
cant wait to see tnky03's place too.bet its cute as a button.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 18:33

rough long day ah. I am finally able to sit down. the poor little kitten didn't make it she was older but she was always real sick and I've been nursing her for 2 months.
I have medicines and I know what to do but I think she was just born that way.

I will tell you I got my big dry sink from on abandoned property. if you are like me we like to pick up stuff that has another use if we see it. whether it be an the donut shop or on the side of the road you just never know lol

I did get some more corn planted and sunflowers in front of the small barn because it gets it gets wet there and they will soak up the ground.

the rug sounds so pretty yes I do know about jumping the gun and fixing up the place and also about target practice haha that's something you need to know whether you're living in the city or at the cabin.

the place next door has been empty for several years. the people live in the city I don't know what they're planning to do they mow it once a year. but there is a big pond with fish and once in awhile I will treat myself to a few moments of fishing. they don't care.
I've only caught a few small ones that I throw back but I know there are some bigger ones and there would make a good dinner.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 18:36

sorry about the typos. I think it's my southern accent it doesn't translate well lol
I meant thrift store not donut shop hahaha

the other tiny kitten is doing very well looks like she will open her eyes soon

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 19:47

my daughter named the little kitten ginger.
hey I went and looked at Garden lettuce onions Korn coming up now.
here is a picture of my little chicken coop I am building talk about cobbling something lol
I have to use what I have available and I can't saw anything due to my arm. I am not done yet but I got this done today
20130516_18.58.42..jpg
20130516_18.58.42..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 19:49

here is what I found for $2 at the thrift store
20130516_19.33.48..jpg
20130516_19.33.48..jpg

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 19:51

they are Union Jacks long underwear and yes I have worn them and they are great!
don't know why these pictures are sideways sorry about that

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 16 May 2013 19:59

okay last one I promise
20130516_19.56.27..jpg
20130516_19.56.27..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 May 2013 21:09

Grandma Off Grid.i am so sorry about the kitty.sad.i am sure u know what to do.
if i found an abandoned utility sink i sure would pick it up.we had a coleman 5 gal.water jug spigot break.i turned it into a planter for outside.i am planting squash in it gal.
u got your corn planted.yay.
i took photos of my garden here in town today.mostly flowers is all i took photos of for the most part.
also about target practice haha that's something you need to know whether you're living in the city or at the cabin.

very true gal.very true.
I've only caught a few small ones that I throw back but I know there are some bigger ones and there would make a good dinner.

good luck on fishing.
I think it's my southern accent it doesn't translate well lol

i am from texas and louisiana.my first falling in love was a cabin on the lake in louisiana when i was 6 yrs old.
the other tiny kitten is doing very well looks like she will open her eyes soon

thank goodness.
hey I went and looked at Garden lettuce onions Korn coming up now.

cool.good luck gal.looks like a good year for the gardens.i will post some photos of my garden in town.
we cant plant out at our woods yet till we move there.who will water it and who will protect the plants from the animals?
here is a picture of my little chicken coop I am building talk about cobbling something lol
I have to use what I have available and I can't saw anything due to my arm. I am not done yet but I got this done today

oh my gosh.u did this today?u did alot .what kind of chickens are u going to have?
here is what I found for $2 at the thrift store

no way in the world!!thats a dog gone good deal.i knitted a pair for my hubby for xmas.i made up the pattern on my own.hes not worn them yet but i bet they will be worn before we know it.probably next winter at the cabin.it was several days there of 21 below and one day of 25 below.
ok.dont laugh.i am gonna knit me a pair of long johns in every color of yarn i have.
is that your water ?

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 May 2013 21:24

every one can surely join in with us ole grannies on homesteading and cabin talk.
Grandma Off Grid...here is my rhubarb.its in town.i have seen bigger but this is the first year its really doing good.
i think its too close though.
that blue object it the planter i made from a five gall.water jug.took the broken spigot off and buried the hole in the ground as a drain.once the squash takes over.u wont see my uneven cutting.
then there is garlic.i did not plant it.i thought it was flower leaves.my sil planted it when he lived here.now there is several patches.its very strong...i love onions and garlic in everything.
do u?
rhubarb
rhubarb
garlic
garlic

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 May 2013 21:25

this is like the rug i am making now for the cabin.its small.i am trying to keep going to make a big rug.
braided rug
braided rug

cabingal3
# Posted: 16 May 2013 22:02

Grandma Off Grid.have u ever made homemade saurkraut??
i think u chop up cabbage.stuff n jars and add something like kosher salt?? i am not sure.then u screw on the lid and put in a dark place??let it ferment.i dont know if a person puts it in the canner then or just leaves it be.sure would love to make up some jars.
saw it on hillybilly blood tv show.they did not expound greatly.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:17

good morning cabin gal! yes it looks like many are reading our thread. hope some of them will join in too as we are having a lot of fun!

your plants look good and healthy. the cooler idea was very good. I have used tires for growing also they just need the root area protected and they will take it from there lol

the rug is beautiful can I pay you to make me one haha its very pretty with all the colors.

I can't wait to see the knitted long underwear hehehe

now where is our tnk?

yes that's my water filter it works great I had the buckets I bought the filter and spigot for $37 including s/h. son and I put it together in 30 minutes. I clean it every two weeks and Shake the filter. it works great I have had it for a couple years already.

not being able to afford much vet care I have we had to learn to do a great deal on my own

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:22

yes onions and garlic are good to cook with they smell wonderful when they are cooking up and they are very good for us. my grandma put onions in just about everything.
I tried putting those tall green onions with the root in a glass of water it really does work they continue to grow the long chives. there is a lot you can do even in town. you can use buckets pots make your own trellis all kinds of things.
I parted a cherry tomato plants for my daughter who lives in the city to put on her balcony. I told her I think of the fresh produce that is the most expensive and pick 3. cherry tomatoes onions even lettuce can be grown on the balcony. a little pot of sweet basil is easy to do an egg good long-term seasoning

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:34

sorry about typos again."sigh"

I am from Charleston South Carolina. born and raised when it was still a smallish city with all the small towns near by. it is very grown up now. I was there a year and a half ago when my wonderful loving grandma passed away at 91. then 3 months later my brother passed away also. rough times for sure.

I have had many many different kinds of chickens ducks geese and Guineas.
I like the Rhode Island Red the best they are a good all purpose bird for me and eggs

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:44

hope some of them will join in too as we are having a lot of fun!

we surely are gf.
there is a lot you can do even in town

there sure is which is where i am right now but i sure want to be out.the count down has begun...less than 20 months we will retire to the woods Grandma Off Grid!
yes. i had a little patch of kale i planted with broccoli and also lettuce.oh my...grandma!what a blessing that little patch was.

i would pull lettuce leaves,kale leaves and broccoli leaves and make a salad thru winter and spring.it was so good.then when spring came-i added fresh small dandelion leaves to our salad.so cheap.so good.

I was there a year and a half ago when my wonderful loving grandma passed away at 91. then 3 months later my brother passed away also. rough times for sure.
i am so sorry .that was rough times.ones parting away is sad always.
thank u for sharing about the chickens and what u think is best.
u have a wonderful morning.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:48

since it is just me I will get a couple hens and maybe a rooster but roosters can be hard on hens if the harem isn't big enough lol

on making the sauerkraut. cut up the cabbage put in a big jar of water 8 tablespoons kosher or canning salt. gloss over the top so it can breathe. put in the dark cool area it take several weeks to make but it will ferment and it needs to breathe for that process.
I only made one batch that was successful. but if you can it is also very healthy to eat.

if you want to store eggs you must not wash them when you collect them wipe them off. put an big glass jar or something that can be covered and pour oil over them. I have even seen eggs stored in just plain lard.
eggs are like root crops. if you wash them that removes the protection and opens up the pores of the eggs or vegetables. this is what makes them go bad quicker

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 07:54

okay there is a definite drawbacks to be on smartphone verses laptop lol
hard to edit.
guineas are very good for pest control.
they kill snakes and are excellant watch dogs.
they can fend for themselves and so really need little care.
however they can be very loud because they will sound the alarm for just about anything. they like to roost and the tall trees are on the roof of your house.
they are excellent guard birds.
they make wherever they are there home you must get them before they are three or four months old. otherwise they will continue to try to turn return to their old house or property.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 09:17

my grandma was my best friend for many years she just about raised us young'uns.
her and Grandpa were married in the depression. they went to a justice of the peace and slept in the car that night.
on their 50th wedding anniversary I threw them a huge party and they got remarried. several of the relatives they came from out of state passed away the next year. so they had the pictures and videos from that party to remember.

I took care of Grandma and Grandpa for 10 years. then I was relocated up north by my ex husband.
it was hard to get back down there 900 miles each way.
I wanted to go and see her again before she passed but circumstances did not allow. I don't know how I feel about that today except I still am angry a little about it.
we wrote long letters 16-18 pages or more.
she helped me when I was young mother to know what to do. she was a very intelligent and funny woman.
grandpa came from a farm family. grandma came from the city and they had a store. that's how they survived the depression.
they built a beautiful brick home with tall white columns. they had paid only $900 for two and a half acres and the suburbs. they did all the work themselves accept my uncle help them because he had a construction company. everything was paid for by cash and there was no debt on anything when they were done.
she passed away the day before Christmas Eve a year and a half ago. grandpa had been gone for 19 years.
here's to take us fishing and out to the country where he some land and sheds.
I miss them so even today. we must take up the baton for the next generation. but I don't think it gets any easier...

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 May 2013 10:53

i loved my grandmas also.they were my rocks.bad parents.wonderful grandma's.
i loved reading what u posted Grandma Off Grid.thank u.hugs cabi.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 14:13 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

okay I am working on this now. I had read a long time ago that you could do this. used motor oil to paint barns an old wood furniture. I had already done a little of the barn to see and it worked very well. I got this patio table and 4 chairs at a yard sale for $5. it turned out very good and I hope it will be OK. I wonder if anyone else has done this?

PS a mama cat brought me 4 month old kittens today. she will do this when they are a month old she lives out in the tall grass and weeds.
they look very healthy and my momma cat took them right away
20130517_11.07.03.jpg
20130517_11.07.03.jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 May 2013 14:56

dog gone.that does look good.wow.thanks for the tip.i have not done this.i love it.
aw.so cute.thats funny that mama cat trusts u enough with her babies.
going to take a nap as my little grandsons.well they are 10 and 13 are coming over to spend the weekend.
i am going to see if they want to crack walnuts with me.they can also help grandpa build the door to our cabin.
going to rest.hugs cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 16:12

we are being the good grandparents like we had.
good for you!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 16:20

some other tips to ponder when you have nothing else to do haha

homemade laundry soap: 1 box borax washing soda 1 box Armand Hammer washing soda. you can add other things for this works just as well. low suds. can use to wash dishes and other things too. cost me about $6 left about 6 months.

I make my own apple cider vinegar. keep gallon jar on table. eat or cook with apples. throw peels and cores in. the longer you leave it the stronger it is.
strain into clean jug.

cabingal3
# Posted: 17 May 2013 17:10

I make my own apple cider vinegar. keep gallon jar on table. eat or cook with apples. throw peels and cores in. the longer you leave it the stronger it is.
strain into clean jug.

really??how do u keep gnats down?
i used to make my own laundry soap.i need to get back at it.

my grandson whose 13 is coming over.he told his dad-SOMETIMES i just need my grandma.aw.little funny bunny.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:42

isn't that sweet!

on gnats: don't really have that problem here but you can just keep the lid on just not real tight so it can breathe. if the jar is half full or less of apples it will make it sooner takes about a month or less.
then strain and to clean jug with cap.
it will continue to ripen in that new jug. it may be stronger than store bought. you can water it down a little. after a few weeks there will be a little stuff like
mold. that is the "mother" and is normal and good.
keep sniffing it you will be able to smell it go from alcohol smell to vinegar.
you can always also just buy apple cider if you know its fresh and real then let it "turn" in fridge. takes several weeks.

don't you love being a grandma!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:47

this is like apples fall off the tree on the ground. it doesn't take too long for them to turn to alcohol then 2 vinegar. that's the funny part of horses and goats and tells eating falling fruit of the ground they get drunk lol

this soap is just two boxes. dump in bucket and mix. use 1/4 to 1/2 cup each load or a little more if really dirty. dump outside when you put in bucket because it's dusty. after its mixed no more dust. will send a picture.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:49 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

some of this I read online and some was just an accident I found works haha
been doing this with soap and vinegar many years now works good

tnky03
# Posted: 17 May 2013 23:50

Oh ladies, grandma's are just the best. Mine was my "rock" as I grew up. She taught me so much. Well, we went and got 2x4's to build some walls in our little "shed". My best friends hubby brought cabinet bases and counter tops yesterday, all Free, the best price. We got our laptop back working today, thanks to the fine fellow at Best Buy. Tomorrow will finally try and get some pics posted. Nite to you all.

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.