Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 May 2013 14:32

are you tired of these pictures yet?
here is one of the bathroom
20130530_14.29.51..jpg
20130530_14.29.51..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 18:18

omg.that lamp on the middle of your kitchen table is fantastic gal.its so big.wow.the oil lamps u get now days are soo small.and very costly if boughten new from the store.we got some rinky dink things for 20-40$.yes for one small oil lamps.the one was a red metal miners looking oil lamp.so so cute.yeah.it leaked all the oil everywhere.we returned it.then gar and i were at this estate sale and there was big ones.not as good as yours ...we got them for 5$ each.they are wonderful.holds alot of lamp oil.
that s sure pretty.wow.
love your table cloths.this is what i have in mind for my table at the new addition once we get a bedroom built.we will turn the new addition into a kitchenette.and i sure will get one of those table clothes as u shared.with an oil lamp in the middle.sure cute.thank u for sharing this.

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 18:20

great bathroom Kelley.love the green.its like and apple green.thats at least what it shows up as in the camera.sure pretty.thats a pretty big bathroom i must say.
back to making my rug.the mister will be showing up soon.need to get some dinner going.
today i weeded all the horsetails.and left some weeds growing for salad.ha.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 30 May 2013 20:06

hey girlie i got that lamp from free store. i pulled all the electric cords out. it just holds a candle now where the bulb would go. i could make it oil i reckon.

my son in law made oil lamps with mason jars. cute and cost less than 5$.

my green bath i call who-ville lol

i would be happy to send you the other tablecloth. for what i paid haha free!

sure hoping you get back out there soon.

boy i hope others are enjoying our thread lol
if not they are missing out

hugs Denny Rae

cabingal3
# Posted: 30 May 2013 21:42

Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
my green bath i call who-ville lol

love that.so the color of grinchie?hee heee.cute
i would be happy to send you the other tablecloth. for what i paid haha free

oh no.i just am gonna get one like it around here.mostly cause i dont even know what table i will have in the cabin yet.gars gonna make it...still in the works.thank u .thats so nice of u.
hey girlie i got that lamp from free store. i pulled all the electric cords out. it just holds a candle now where the bulb would go. i could make it oil i reckon.

oh my gosh.what a good idea.thanks for sharing this tip.i could see a neat lamp and do the same.love that.

boy i hope others are enjoying our thread lol
if not they are missing out

well i am sure having fun.hugs to u too grandma Kelley

turkeyhunter
# Posted: 31 May 2013 07:34

You ladies are having to much fun...the FACE book of small cabin forum

manny
# Posted: 31 May 2013 08:05

x2turkyhunter..Lol The most enteresting tread here.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 08:11

thats funny fella's!

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 08:20

morning everyone.
the braided rug grows.its got to be about 6x7.so i have a ways to go yet.
how is your morning going ?
i pray well.
we are maybe having the grandsons this weekend and maybe not. i dont know for sure yet.
we are working outside in the yard.gars stringing up the string beans.
i am weeding and pulling up more rhubarb and freezing it or making more jam.
i saw an interesting thing on pinterest yesterday Grandma Kelly.it was to use plywood as flooring.u route in lines and varish the wood.the routed in lines make it look like hardwood floors.sort of interesting.hubby says thats costly as anything cause thicker plywood is so costly.
well wondering what u are up to today Grandma Off Grid Kelly.
have a good day.if grandsons are coming.i need to get to baking.
they are growing up so fast.my buddies.eating oysters -hee hee.they come over and shout.yay.white people food.hee hee.they love potatoes.so even if mexican is in them.the irish takes over.ha ha ha.hugs rae
eating oysters
eating oysters
he likes them
he likes them

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 10:15

did u know radish leaves are edible?? i did not know this.i have alot cause i did not thin the radishes as well as i should have.now i have tons of big radish leaves.u can put them in salad or stir fry them or add to cooked spinach.i guess they are a bit bitter.its ok.i bet theres alot of things we can eat we dont know about.

tnky03
# Posted: 31 May 2013 11:42

Good morning all! Small Cabin Facebook, LOL! Love it! Driving across KY to hit I-75 and head to Knoxville, TN then beautiful NC mountains. My sons gr driving right now so I have a break. She is a new driver so I am in much prayer, lol. I sure hope my garden back home gets a good rain. Hey, I saw that plywood flooring on Pinterest, too. It looked real nice. Next week we'll be starting insulation, itchy stuff, and hubby will get into the wiring. We have decided to use a tub/shower from a travel trailor that hubby traded a lawnmower for. It is all in one unit and will not take up so much room. I will be glad when we get enough done so we can move in and sell the motorhome. I am more than ready to get out of it, lol. Soon I keep telling myself, soon. Everyone have a great day.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 12:04

Quoting: tnky03
Good morning all! Small Cabin Facebook, LOL! Love it

She is a new driver so I am in much prayer, lol.

oh good luck.hee hee.
Hey, I saw that plywood flooring on Pinterest, too.

i know huh?! i sent gar the link to his work.he finally opened it and said hey that looks pretty good.probably way easier to cover with a big sheet of plywood than those hard wood floor kits.
Next week we'll be starting insulation, itchy stuff

tnky93-what about styrofoam sheets?lite,non itchy?

We have decided to use a tub/shower from a travel trailor that hubby traded a lawnmower for.

thats a good trade gal.well thats a good idea.we are looking at some of the insides of the camper and mobile home on our property.last time we were there,i needed curtain rods.i went to salvage them from the mobile home.i also found long heavy black metal curtain rods and the hardware.that is a good ideal to have more room in your cabin.
. I will be glad when we get enough done so we can move in and sell the motorhome
i am excited for u too gal.not long sounds good.hugs and have a wonderful day .

trollbridge
# Posted: 31 May 2013 13:57

Lol, turkeyhunter...remember what happened the last time you said that?

I'm glad you gals have a place to share and exchange thoughts

GoffG...you got an extra Mountain Dew? I could sure use one of those right now! Lol.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 16:15

gals.got a free rug from yard sales.i am taking it to the cabin.it smells like stinky feet.i laid it out once home.got the water hose,a broom and nice smelling dishwash soap.pour that all over.wetted the whole rug down with the hose.scrubbed with the broom.it was soo soapy.then i put the water hose on the rug to rinse it out.i am letting it sun and air dry.when it dries some more-i am going to put something heavy on the raised up areas made from being rolled up and bent and stuffed in odd out of the way places i guess.here is the rug.i also got a free slow cooker.there was a small little sheep herders stove i was dying to have.45$.the fella said it cost them a couple hundred.man. sure wanted that stove.gar said he would stop by after work and see if it is still there.hope hope hope.
has anyone found really cool things at yard sales for there cabins??
free rug
free rug
free slow cooker
free slow cooker

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 31 May 2013 17:54

hahaha I hope we are entertaining everyone! lol

sounds like everyones out and about and busy doing lots of things that's a good thing!

had to do shopping today. do not go to Walmart on the 1st of the month. man talk about crowded and everybody was pushy over $0.28 corn and day old bread.

stopped at a little junk shop it's a new one. called bits and pieces.. 2 old hippy guys. I know all of you would like it. found another small or lamp and a table top charcoal grill really nice. they gave me to patio chairs dollar each. some other little odds and ends. total bill $10

yes I have plenty of the old style Mountain Dew. don't you miss the glass bottles? when we were just young uns back home in the Deep South.. there was a little outdoor market Stand. they had glass bottles of orange crush in an ice water bath. 25 cents each. we'd walk down there after school and get one.
we were in 1st grade. nobody thought anything of it.

we had a teacher named Mrs. Culver. she was one mean old broad.
she would not let me and my sister sit together because she was afraid we could read each others minds. we are identical twins 3 minutes apart.

when we would spend time with Grandma she would take us to the park and afterwards we would get an Icee. it was a nickel. we would peel the stamps of the cups and save them. after so many you could get a free Icee.
for dinner almost every night it seems we had Dinty Moore beef stew and rice and grandma would fry these corn bread biscuits things in a frying pan kind of round and flat. it didn't matter how often we ate it it was always very good.

she had a little black poodle named Snooki. she would go to the store and buy special little meats and livers and cook them up for the dog. if the dog didn't like how she made it, the dog would wrap the meat back up in the foil with her nose.

Hattie what a great idea about the library!
there is a very small village not too far away with the world's tiniest library. last I saw it a few years ago they were storing hay and straw bales in it.

tonight is pizza night. told my son i had a coupon. used the talk to text to say that.. it came out as "put your poop on"

hahaha love this new technology

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 31 May 2013 17:55

PS those are sure some cute boys! looks like they have a good appetite!

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 19:15

hahaha I hope we are entertaining everyone! lol

lol.funny GrandmaOffGrid
sounds like everyones out and about and busy doing lots of things that's a good thing!

it sure is
had to do shopping today. do not go to Walmart on the 1st of the month. man talk about crowded and everybody was pushy over $0.28 corn and day old bread.

they wont let walmart in our town the poo heads.i love wallys world
u got some really good deals at bits and pieces.
when we were just young uns back home in the Deep South.. there was a little outdoor market Stand. they had glass bottles of orange crush in an ice water bath. 25 cents each. we'd walk down there after school and get one.
we were in 1st grade. nobody thought anything of it.

we used to go to camp at black lake,la.dirt roads and get strawberry soda in glass bottles in those old coke that u open up and slide thru-love the south.love louisiana so much.
we had a teacher named Mrs. Culver. she was one mean old broad.
she would not let me and my sister sit together because she was afraid we could read each others minds. we are identical twins 3 minutes apart.

hee hee.thats funny.so where is your twin??
boy.i remeber pak a sak.we would walk and get icee's.
for dinner almost every night it seems we had Dinty Moore beef stew and rice and grandma would fry these corn bread biscuits things in a frying pan kind of round and flat. it didn't matter how often we ate it it was always very good.

good times with ole granny.i loved my grannies more than anything in the world.u sound like u had good times.my ole granny would make pilsbury canned biscuits gal.i dont know what she would do to them.i think melted butter all over them and bake them.real butter on each biscuit and louisian blue ribbon pure cane syrup and ice cold whole milk.when u say this about the corn bread biscuits fried and u never got tired of it.thats how i was with my grannies cooking.sometimes she would fry up salt pork and put this on the biscuits and strawberry jam on the biscuit.man.so good
she had a little black poodle named Snooki. she would go to the store and buy special little meats and livers and cook them up for the dog. if the dog didn't like how she made it, the dog would wrap the meat back up in the foil with her nose.

thats so funny.my granny had poodles too.she bred them-oh none of my grannies dogs were that smart.lol
tonight is pizza night. told my son i had a coupon. used the talk to text to say that.. it came out as "put your poop on"

Grandma Off Grid.i cant text.my grandson had a texter machine.his mom wrote him to wake up.i can only text ok.so she said are u up jesse?i said ok.she went hi mom.

PS those are sure some cute boys! looks like they have a good appetite!

the one who is making the face is almost a vegetarian.the other loves meat and taters.thank u.they are my sweetest boys.hope u have a good evening.loved hearing your stories of the good ole south

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 31 May 2013 21:39

i get such a kick out of reading you and everyones stories. not quite as good as the old campfire but close enough.

my sister is kerry jo. i am kelly jo.
we were supposed to be a big boy lol

when i was little i was called kelly with the belly full of jelly..cause i laughed a lot

my sister lives in miami. she is one of my closest friends. she had 6 children and adopted 2.
all of them homeschooled to college.

her youngest is 12. he has ALD. if you ever saw the
movie Lorenzos Oil, that is ALD.
he had bone marrow tx 4 and half yrs ago. he is stable but in wheelchair and needs full time nursing. she has been a real champion for him

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 31 May 2013 21:45

i would love to go visit him as dont know how much longer he might have. for now i make him videos of me reading stories to him and send mail and pictures.
he spent a month with me the summer before he got sick. what a time we had. fishing swim in pool horse ridez and farm stuff. i sure do miss all of them. they are all good kids. most are grown and out on own now.

cabingal3
# Posted: 31 May 2013 22:12

my sister is kerry jo. i am kelly jo.
we were supposed to be a big boy lol

good names gal.thats funny.
oh.thats so sad about your nephew.i a m so so sorry.thats so special u had time with him before he got sick.i never watched Lorenzos oil.i thought it would be too sad.i think its so sweet and special of u Kelly to read to him and tape it.very wonderful.

tnky03
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 00:26

Denise, I love your rug! What a deal! Those are some good looking grandsons you got. Oh Kelly, I am so sorry about your nephew. I watched Lorenzo's Oil and it was so moving. What a strong woman that mom was. Your sister must be a wonderful lady. Some people seem to have so very much love in their hearts. How awesome to be a twin! I love hearing those "down south" stories. We had a little country store a few miles from the farm. The owner had a gold tooth, first I ever saw. He kept all his change in a little wooden bowl, looked like it had Indian markings. You could buy a Three Musketeer bar (twice as big as today's) for a nickel and a 10 oz. Coke in a bottle for a dime. Those were such good days. All the old men in the neighborhood gathered there and told lots of stories and I am sure gossiped, too. I wish I had listened to their stories more closely for now they are all dead and many of the stories along with them. Well, graduation went well and it was so nice to gather afterwards for a meal with most of the family. Dalton has talked to a Marine recruiter and is considering signing up. I hope I can upload his pic from my phone but if not then after I'm back home. Goodnight all. Oh well, I tried and still phone won't load pic, so later on that.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 01:05

Denise, I love your rug! What a deal!

ty gal
Those are some good looking grandsons you got.

thank u.i love them so.i think they are spending alot of summer with me and grandpa.yay.
tnkyo3-i loved reading your story too.it was so good and homey to read.man.those were the days for sure.gasoline 15 cents a gal.cheapcheap foods and rent and car payments.i remember back when we paid 75$ a month for a 3 bedroom ranch style home.now it would be so costly to rent or buy.
so happy the graduation went so well.wow.u can be so proud gal.
we would love to see his pic.goodnite.u have a good evening.see u in the morning .hugs cabi.

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 01:07

Debbie,Kelly.see u in the morning...with coffee in hand.nite all.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 08:03

morning ladies. well had a bad storm last night so I was up at 3 o'clock just watching the radar on my phone. all is well this morning.
that movie Lorenzo's oil, is a fantastic movie you should get it watch it maybe. I bought a copy and my daughter loved it and took it home with her haha

little Jack needed to transplant but had to have a perfect match. it was looking like there wouldn't be one. but guess what his brother who was a Marine turned out to be a perfect match. he was flown an to Minnesota from where he was and training right after boot camp. he donated the bone marrow that saved his brother. it was a tough surgery for both of them.
he stayed there for a week and then went back to training in Georgia I think.
my sister got jack on the Miracle League. it is a baseball team just for special needs kids.
she helps to start one in Miami and they played at the Coliseum where the Miami Dolphins play and some of the Miami Dolphins game and helped. it was on the news it was really something.
my nephew that donated the bone marrow is still very active in special needs kids activities.
hey is out of the Marines now. he was in for five years and was over in Afghanistan.
when he was deployed over there I planted the two apple trees. we prayed everyday and he did come home safe.

all my good pictures are on my computer. have to see how to get them on my phone.

well I think I'm going to try to finish the upstairs today. I got a lot of it done a couple days ago but there's still vacuuming and dusting.
my two girls are coming out tomorrow with little Noah.

one thing I found out that is so true as a writer is that everyone has a story. we all have been through many different things in our lives. I like sitting and talking to strangers making friends with them and then hearing their life stories.
the kids and I used to volunteer at a nursing home.
my oldest son would play checkers with a guy named Charlie. it was their weekly date. the ladies would sit and talk about their childhoods. it was fascinating.
things just are not like they were when we were kids or they were.

one time when we were all little kids there was a bad storm coming and my mom hated storms she would take us to grandma's. grandma always said oh there's a storm coming I better put on the coffee.

well anyway we were in this old station wagon and mom stopped at a burger joint for us to use the bathroom.
I went in and was looking at jukebox I think. she didn't realize I wasn't in the car and left haha

the workers there found me and put me up on a stool and gave me a big hamburger. they spoiled me.
they did not call the police. they just waited because they said they know mama would come back and get me.
sure enough a little while later my mom came back and got me said she was counting kids and I wasn't there lol

the burger joint people gave us a big bag of hamburgers to taking the car it was late at night.
we then stopped to get gas it was 19 cents a gallon.

my grandpa had been in the Army for 2 years during the Korean Conflict. he was a radio operator.
he loved music would play his guitar and sing to us. he had a beautiful voice.
he sang on the radio with his cousin for a long time. they had a show it was pretty popular.
his cousin was Arthur Godfrey.

grandpa came off the farm. 13 kids Anne said they slept on the floor tonight and he could see the chickens through the boards picking the ground

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 08:12

grandma was from the city. so some of us kids inherited the country and music gene and some of us inherited the City one.
when my grandpa was about 70 he hey left in the car one day we thought he was going to the store.
what he actually did was drove to Nashville and went to Capitol Records to give them a tape of his music!
well lo and behold Capitol Records liked the music and call the house a week later and tried to get him to come back. he said he was too old now but he just wanted to hear that they liked it.
I have some takes off his they're actually pretty good country music.

I know I got that from him. I love music and singing and writing songs and the country life.
I did do some professional music things and was lead singer and a few bands. I really miss it sometimes.
I was invited to be in a musical and sang Amazing Grace accapello and a large arena to a packed house.
got a standing ovation.
was also in a music video in LA that I traveled to be in and was signed to a Christian record label.

I really miss doing those things but there really isn't much out here for that.

I need to get out and plant more in the garden today.

hugs to you all and hope you have a wonderful day!

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 08:45

morning grandma Kelly-glad u made it thru your storm last nite.waking up to Oklahoma this morn.is sure horrific.praying so for those poor people having so many terrible storms in the U.S. of A.
i need to watch that movie.i sort of run from too sad of movies.i love that theres a movie made for people with this medical problem though.thank the Lord for Little Jacks marine brother .what a hero!
so glad to hear he -made it back from overseas in one piece and is back home where all love him.
oh enjoy your visit with your family tomorrow.how fun
thats so wonderful...u taking your kids to be with elderly n nursing homes.thats so great.
your family is very civic minded.
u are a writer?so is my hubbyits not easy to be a writer.
one time when we were all little kids there was a bad storm coming and my mom hated storms she would take us to grandma's. grandma always said oh there's a storm coming I better put on the coffee.

thats priceless.how funny-gars family would all go sit outside in the storm
well anyway we were in this old station wagon and mom stopped at a burger joint for us to use the bathroom.
I went in and was looking at jukebox I think. she didn't realize I wasn't in the car and left haha

oh my word!!
sure enough a little while later my mom came back and got me said she was counting kids and I wasn't there lol
om-gosh!

your grandpa sounds like a pretty neat fella.lets see.i cant remember all my grandpas.granny it seems had 6-8 hubbys.we lost count.hee hee.
wow.arthur godfrey!man.that takes me back!
grandpa came off the farm. 13 kids Anne said they slept on the floor tonight and he could see the chickens through the boards picking the ground

thats a big family gal.my hubbys granny had 12 kids in her family.i would love to hear her stories.so fun to hear.
going to get coffee and come back and read more.hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 08:56

well -this is all so interesting about u singing and family being into music so much.
i cant carry a tune.once i thought i sang good.hubby thought he was pretty good too.we recorded ourselves hm like 30 yrs ago.since hearing that recording...we have not sang a song since.we sounded like goofy and mini-mouse.
so thats our musical experience.
welll i hope u get your upstairs cleaned today and finish up.
i am slow today.drinking coffee.need to get going to my own group called knitting kabin 2.off i go wishing all a wonderful day.hugs cabi

trollbridge
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 10:28

Amazing Grace accapella- beautiful I bet

cabingal3
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 11:25

My old grandma use to open up her cigarette and take out the tobacco and chew it and slap that on my bee sting.it sure did help.
If I got burnt-she would slather butter on the burn. Now we know she was cooking me further.
We were never allowed to have hard candy. Only Hersey's kisses! It was a hardship we had to endure as kids.
Oh! We were allowed to have Hersey's bars though.
She would take me to shop for nice fabrics and have a seamstress make me clothes but if we forgot our toothbrushes.
She would never buy us a toothbrush. We could stay there all summer and she never would. We would have to use our fingers and soap to wash our teeth.
Oh man! Don't ever mention a headache. She would run get the poop pills.
We were the first grandkids and the only from her only son. She loved us so. Later on she would deal with my younger sisters and brothers a lot differently. She would take a fly swatter to my brother.my sister will tell u our granny Gert was a mean one. She never was mean to us. She would make us lay down in the heat of the hot steaming Texas sun. She would make us lie down in front of the a.c. and watch cowboy john. She always had a belt in her hand while she lay on her sofa. She never once used that belt on us.She was wonderful

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 1 Jun 2013 22:43

lol grandma would pull out the paragoric for anything we needed medical wise. the pharmacist gave her a bottle whenever she asked for it didn't realize it was a narcotic! she would make a poultice out of corn meal for stomach ache.
I remember once I got the switch but I had done something bad I think. it was pretty rare. mostly us kids loved Grandma and Grandpa and just wanted to please them.
grandma good so anything she was always making something.

grandpa used to teach us how to work on cars.
they have this all beat up car and couldn't afford a new one. so grandma got a can of paint and paint brush and hand-painted the car haha she did a good job.

okay I work myself to a frazzle today but got the up stairs done except to hang curtains. then went and ran errands and came back to relax. boy my arm is really hurting.
I did get one row of bush beans planted and I picked up a nice stroller for $6 at Goodwill and a little bean bag recliner for my grandson.

going to turn in soon. so very much enjoy reading all of everyone's stories!

<< . 1 . 2 . 3 . 4 . 5 . 6 . 7 . 8 . 9 . 10 ... 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.