Small Cabin

Small Cabin Forum
 - Forums - Register/Sign Up - Reply - Search - Statistics -

Small Cabin Forum / Off Topic / how is your spring going?
<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 11:50

your lighting ideas sound fun and are festive.your jam looks good.
i need to get going and get my plums picked.
its going to be 86 degrees here today.
Quoting: Grandma Off Grid
the chandelier

looks so pretty with the big candles in it.very pretty.good idea.
working on a circular sweater.working on my braided rug still .need to run and get some cheap yarn.today is run around a bit doing this and that.u have a fun busy day all.hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 14:29

went to pick wild plums.theres tons.and blackberries are on.whee.
making syrups and jams.
wild plums
wild plums
blackberries
blackberries
jams
jams

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 17:24 - Edited by: Grandma Off Grid

Did I say blackberries? I guess I'm not feeling too good what I meant was blueberries. I just boil them down with a tiny bit of water and some honey and hot pack them. then boil jars 5 minutes. I only have enough to do one jar thank goodness lol

your plums and all look delicious.
Fresh fruit is so good in a jam or syrup.

I don't feel up to snuff for sure. storms going over.
Got my rain barrels filling..dish pan..water filter and laundry bucket filling up too.
You know that saying..work smarter not harder..lol

this is a good night for hot tea and an old movie
and some sewing on the lap.

I checked this morning I have baby beans and tomatoes. sure wish they'd hurry up.

If you do a little light project let us see how you did yours. i think i will try one for outside also with the solar.

We will have to compare notes on the outdoor canning. too hot inside.

Ok took a little cold meds see if i can sleep off this bug.

Yall have a good evening..coffee is at 5 am lol

cabingal3
# Posted: 9 Jul 2013 23:12

I don't feel up to snuff for sure.

i am so sorry u arent feeling good.i hope u have hot tea and a good nites rest and feel better in the morning.
what cha sewing?
we got the insta-bulbs...gar was so against them.now he loves them.we will put them up next time we go to the cabin.i will take a photo then.
Ok took a little cold meds see if i can sleep off this bug.

good luck gal.get well.
see u in the a.m. lol.cabi

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 07:49

Hey is that the little Light bulb that runs on battery?
You stick it up anywhere you need a light bulb?
I have seen these actually at the dollar store They are $10 apiece. but it would sure be worth getting a few to see how they work is that what you're talking about?

Got a little sleep. I think this bug will pass in another day or so.

Do any of you have dogs that are storm phobic?
My one dog is and she goes nuts if there's a storm she can tell even if its an hour away. she's a big dog but she is a little puppy when it comes to storms lol

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 08:08

This is funny. I forgot I had put the end of some green onions in water in a small jar in a window.
Just happen to remember these this morning. And did they grow!
My celery was doing good until the cats dumped the pot out on the ground.
I have done the same with garlic Don't have any right now.
What an easy way to have fresh chives.
20130710_07.59.26..jpg
20130710_07.59.26..jpg

silverwaterlady
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:11

cabingal3 are they Marion berries? I was very surprised to find huge marion berries growing wild on the outskirts of the parking lot at the Fred Meyers in Portland. The plums are beautiful. The jam looks yummy!

We used to pick apples at abandoned orchards. I would freeze them and we had enough for apple pie all winter. Can't do that anymore since all the land has been sold and subdivisions built.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:31

t a little sleep. I think this bug will pass in another day or so.
i hope so.
y is that the little Light bulb that runs on battery?
You stick it up anywhere you need a light bulb?
I have seen these actually at the dollar store They are $10 apiece. but it would sure be worth getting a few to see how they work is that what you're talking about?

two for 10.99$
Kelly.my dog had a hunting dog.horrified of storms.i dont know.i always thought most dogs were scared of loud noises.we dont have any pets right now.
instabulb
instabulb

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:36

silverwaterlady
gal.they are blackberries.theres tons of them in our park and everywhere.the same with the oregon grape.people use them for shrubs when actually its food.the oregon grape makes the best jams and jellies.
yes.theres lots of free foods from old orchards.i think as u say where there use to be farmland and now its all divided and sold off.
the plums are from the outside of the driving range here in oregon city.
the trees are so full of plums that the tree branch was broken off on one of the trees.just sort of crazy.
when gar and i go somewhere.i always am looking for odd ball fruit trees where i can see no one ever uses the fruit there.theres lots of free fruits about.
silverwaterlady u are so correct in what u say and have seen .lots of fruits...just for the taking.
today i make more jellies and syrups.
get the house in order to have gar take photos for selling this place.
everyone.have a wonderful day.Kelly.get well.hugs cabi.

cabingal3
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 10:38

I forgot I had put the end of some green onions in water in a small jar in a window.

Kelly.thats wild.i love it.i have lots of garlic growing in my yard.can u use garlic leaves in stuff??like chop them up good??maybe even dry the leaves??i need to do some of this u are doing.its pretty cool.thank u for sharing this tip.

tnky03
# Posted: 10 Jul 2013 18:13

Kelly, I hope you are feeling better. I read someplace about slicing an onion and putting it in a jar where you sleep, that it absorbs bacteria and such and helps you get well. It sounds crazy and I've never tried it but wouldn't cost much to try, LOL. All the fruits and jams an jellies you gals have shown look so good! We waded weeds over my head to get to blackberries growing on our place yesterday. I was worried about snakes most of all. My black lab stayed with me (I fed her berries to bribe her), actually she would probably have been as scared if we happened on a snake as I would have been, LOL. We got about half a gallon, many still not ripe. Hubby found some red berries down by the woods, they look much like raspberries and taste much the same. He picked about a quart of them. I'll probably just freeze them all as we love cobblers.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 08:47

Good morning ladies. well I'm trying everything I know but the cold is hanging on. its just a cold thank goodness so nothing serious.

I have this old movie. its called Packing it in..
Its very funny. this family moves from LA
to the backwoods of Oregon.
Its hilarious. if you can find it you should watch its a good movie.

to look. just on my dirt road there is horseradish

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 08:56

Sorry to break the messages up. sometimes hard to edit on phone.

anyway on the dirt road there is apples asparagus Blackberries elderberries red raspberries and mulberries.
I'm sure there are more things but I haven't felt well enough to go walk the road.
Just remember whatever you pick for free save your money at the grocery store. fresh produce is expensive.

One of my daughters who lives in the city has found fresh berries on trees and so on right near her apartment and she is in a city.

I will check out the insta bulbs if I see them again.
I have one or two of the stick up lights with batteries In the bathroom and so forth In case of power is out.
It's easy to turn them on while you're looking for candles and lanterns to light.
Battery and solar just seems to way to go if you can.

I have little beans and tomatoes now And corn has tasled.
I have developed a close relationship with my heating pad haha

you guys have a good day. god bless you all

tnky03
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 14:49

It is a partly sunny day here in KY and I am thankful the good Lord has kept my garden watered for me lately. We are enjoying fresh lettuce, spinach, cucumbers, green peppers, green onions and a few strawberries, yum. Some tomatoes are starting to turn pink o won't be long for them to be ready. My watermelons are blooming like crazy and pumpkins and squash. I hope to get some goat manure this weekend to help them along. I've used it before and had huge 30# sweet melons. I refuse to pay $4+ for a melon from the store that is so small I could eat it all myself.

Today I am suffering the consequences of blackberry picking... chiggers all over, yikes! On a good note we have all but about 10-12 pieces of our barn siding panels up on interior walls of our cabin. It will finish up quickly then on to covering ceilings. We have to order the corrugated galvanized metal for the ceilings in kitchen and living room still. It will go up fast, too. I'm already picturing where I will put some of the copper ware my mom has handed down to me and a place to hang all my iron cookware that both grandmothers used. If I sound overly excited it is because I am, LOL.

On a sad note we lost one of our guinea chicks yesterday. I'm not sure what was the cause. She was the smallest and wasn't eating yesterday morning. By evening she was dead and hubby buried her. I hope the guy we bought them from has some left so we can replace her before the grandkids find out. There will be tears for sure if not. Our Barred Rock hens are growing well as is the other guinea.

Kelly, I hope that cold is gone soon. It seems when you get sick in the summer you just feel worse than when it's cold weather. So glad you gals have lots of fruit and berries to enjoy. Watch out for the chiggers though, lol. The Chickweed salve I got from the Amish does stop most of the itching, for which I am glad.

Our town is having the 4th. Fireworks tomorrow night. We will be getting together with family and friends for a cookout and to watch them. It's like having the holiday twice!

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 16:06

That sounds wonderful! we don't have chiggers here thank goodness but you have to watch tix in the tall grass.
It's rained every day so haven't needed to water And it's also keeps most of the bugs off of everything which is good.
Yeah being a good steward of our finances is a good thing. Plus anything homegrown just taste better.

Do you guys save seeds? I usually do from a few things but I will try more this year from some of the good plants.
My gladiolas are starting to bloom. there are some volunteer tomatoes growing there so I will leave them alone.

Okay this is kind of funny.
One of my daughters that lives in the city call me today To vent about the rude people And the constant busy rushing everywhere.
I did invite her to come and stay with me but she says
she doesn't want to be way out here..

Gosh what was I thinking?
Big food garden And large two story home To ramble about. fresh fruit and berries to pick. Pond to fish and or go swimming. baby kittens to cuddle. old dogs laying at your feet.. campfires if I want one. you can see every star in the universe from the backyard at night. almost no traffic except the Amish buggy going by once in awhile..
No house payment very low Texas very low light bill

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 16:11

Low taxes is what i meant.

Plenty of peace and quiet But short drive to town to do things. free clinic for medical care. plenty of other free things to do in parts and resources are abundant.

Most people out here wear old t shirts and blue jeans so being snobby wouldn't go over well out here..

Yeah it's just miserable.. what was I thinking?

tnky03
# Posted: 11 Jul 2013 16:35

LOL, sounds like the ideal place to me. We are 13 mi. from the nearest town. I can find most anything I need there. I really don't care for malls and big time shopping. Ah yes, all those stars and a campfire, no better way to spend a quiet evening. Throw a hobo pack on the grill for an excellent dinner "out", lol. There is not enough money that would pay me to live in the city again. That free medical clinic sounds good, we sure don't have that around here. My hubby says that doctors practice medicine... "practice", I prefer to see them after they know what they're doing and no longer "practice". Oh well, enough of this old Grandma's rambling on and on. Have a good rest of the day. Deb

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 10:26

Good morning ladies.

morning Kelly.morning debbie.good morning to everyone.was not on much yesterday.took my grandsons to the aquatic swim park.they had so much fun.it was such a joy to see.almost 20 bucks though.ew.oh well i had so much fun seeing them having such a good time.got a real kick out of them.
Kelly.hope u are feeling better by now.a summer cold sucks.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 10:30

will look for the movie called packing it in.
i did not know horse radish grew wild.i will look for that too Kelly.
on heating pads.omg.
the new ones are so crummy.i think the manufacters think we are too dumb to feel if they are burning us.i got an old one.its so hot.its so great.then it went out.now i have one hubby got me.its so lame.on high it is a small almost warm.so sad.
pulled my knee.the back feels like somethings tight.probably from working so hard in the woods.oh well.i keep going.

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 10:35

goodness Debbie.soon your cabin will be all done and so pretty.i cant wait to see the pics.
wow.yur garden is growing like crazy.
i remember up here in oregon one year.i had just gotten my maters planted.it was may and there was hail and cold.went down to texas.over 6 ft tall mater plants.they were close to done in june it gets so hot where my sis lived.
we were not even starting here to get any maters on our vines in may/june.
Quoting: tnky03
Our town is having the 4th. Fireworks tomorrow night. We will be getting together with family and friends for a cookout and to watch them. It's like having the holiday twice!

have fun Debbie and i am sorry about your hen.glad u got help for chiggers.hugs cabi

cabingal3
# Posted: 12 Jul 2013 10:39

Yeah being a good steward of our finances is a good thing. Plus anything homegrown just taste better.

gal.i agree.anything made from home and our own hans and mind and skills is to be valued.
we don't have chiggers

nor us.
kelly that is funny...about your daugther.
oh how u describe your place in the county is heaven.
my sister lives in texas.her power bills are 800$ a month.she has a big house and uses a.c.can u imagen?i would lay away nites worried on how to pay the lite bill.
i dont save seeds.plan to though.

tnky03
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 09:47

I do save some seeds, watermelon and cukes at least. Our family and friends had à great time cooking out and watching fireworks. Today is the towns big parade. Later today we will meet our new grandaughter Audrey.

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 12:13

Later today we will meet our new grandaughter Audrey.

aw.Debbie.thats so special.enjoy.i just got to hold mine on july 4th.Faith is her name.she was so sweet.son says shes sensitive.i said after playing with her and holding her.i said oh no shes not.shes a whipper snapper.nothing phased her.so cute.i know u will so enjoy your little new grand daughter.
the boys and i went to look about our city yesterday.they wanted to be at grannys house on the computer.ha.so they set out to make it as not fun as possible.snicker.
i wanted to go on the trolley.its free and goes all over.nope.
i tried to get good photos of the boys.jesse the older boy hit mayo in the chest.so this is the trip we had...down memory lane.ha ha ha.
the boys
the boys

cabingal3
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 12:14

dear Kelly.hope u are not too sick.hope u are getting better.hugs cabi.

tnky03
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 16:55

Cabi, what nice Looking boys. I'm sure you had à great time with them . We had Another soaking rain today. We also took à good friend and neighbor to our wild raspberry patch and picked over à gallon for them. His site will send us some jam, Yay! New baby here now so time to play.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 17:43

Ladies I have missed being on. it appears I have over used my unlimited data plan haha I don't know how that happened as I'm not a high user. but I am stealing wifi right now. and as long as I have that I'll be on otherwise it won't be till August 1st when I can renew my phone card.

Love the pictures of the boys!
Then good news on the new baby I would love to have a granddaughter!
Everything sounds like it's going pretty decent. I am just now getting tomatoes and beans they're very tiny and everything else is taking its time except I can see potatoes and corn on the cob. I'll have to write down what I plan to the tights because I can't remember its menopause lol
we're having a few days break from the rain and some cool temperatures. I saw a bug on my plants got a little crazy and desperate and ended up just sprinkling raw fresh tobacco all over everything. Not heavy just lightly But believe it or not is doing the trick. in the old days tobacco plants were planning all around the garden because they are a natural pest control. nicotine is the leading ingredient in most pesticides.

Anyway this was just real lightly sprinkle and crumbled up real good but it is really working. I have gotten attached to my green growing things and I'll be dang if bugs are gonna get them.

I'm hoping the kids will come out in the next few weeks my birthday is in August and I would like is to see my children and grandchildren that would be plenty. I've already got plenty of knick knacks and Junk
it's the time that is the gift when they can spare it.

My gladiolas are starting to bloom. I hope the boys had a good time at Grandma's. it was always the best memories for us kids when we were growing up.

Miss you ladies Hope you have a good weekend
kelly

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 17:54

PS.. still sick with a chest cold is kicking my butt
got a bunch of medicines trying everything I know it is just wearing me out. hoping few more days it will be gone. got a bad tooth its giving me a heck too.
I have faith that it will all clear up before too long.
I do have facebook if anyone wants that info.

Grandma Off Grid
# Posted: 13 Jul 2013 17:58

Here is a picture of my next project at some point. this is after I tore the old nasty carpet off and scraped the stairs. I'm just going to paint them. probably a dark blue
also a picture of the upstairs. doesn't really do it justice its 2000 square foot.
there is a stage and also a separate bedroom its pretty nice large
20130711_16.30.46..jpg
20130711_16.30.46..jpg
20130711_16.29.09..jpg
20130711_16.29.09..jpg

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 10:37

I'm sure you had à great time with them

thanks Debbie.i surely do.even when they are being little scalawags.hee hee.Debbie enjoy that new baby.and lucky u to get raspberry jam ready made for u.whee.

cabingal3
# Posted: 14 Jul 2013 10:39

glad u are back on Kelly.
hope u dont go till August.gosh.thats a long time.its only july 14th.
tried to make funnel cakes yesterday.what a mess.i had only the idea of how to make them.
i did not know u needed a metal ring to lay in the pan .i only had a pitcher and it was not a funnel spout.the mess was good but it did not work like funnel cakes.

<< 1 ... 9 . 10 . 11 . 12 . 13 . 14 . 15 . 16 . 17 . >>
Your reply
Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Thumbnail Image Link  Large Image Link  URL Link           :) ;) :-( :confused: More smilies...

» Username  » Password 
Only registered users can post here. Please enter your login/password details before posting a message, or register here first.